New Lounger
    Thanks

Enormous file size increase?? (Word 97 SR1)

I have just placed 3 images totalling 1Mb (via rightclick>properties) into a word document then saved with a bit of acompanying text (77 words) and the file size = 17Mb???

Can anyone help?

Regards
    Paul Cramp

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Enormous file size increase?? (Word 97 SR1)

Hi Paul,
    If you want to minimise the file size, paste the images as links (eg via Insert|Object|Create from file|Link to file).
    Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The images have expanded as a result of Word converting the image format. This can happen if you double click the image after it is embedded using the Insert > Picture > From File method of bringing in the graphic. If you are pasting the images into Word then they are most likely already converted and will need to go back to the starting file.

As Macropod said, you can link the images but you should include the switch "d" which stops word from embedding the image as well.

Whenever JPEGs are expanded the file size increase is huge because that format is very space efficient.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

When you insert pictures into Word using Edit > Paste (Ctrl+V), they are by default pasted as great big objects. Pressing Alt+F9 to display field codes for such pictures shows something such as:

{ EMBED PBrush }
    { EMBED MSPhotoEd.3 }

You can convert these to plain pictures by unlinking the field (weird terminology, but stick with me). Use the right-click menu or click in/on the field and press Ctrl+Shift+F9. This should radically reduce the amount of space consumed by the images.

Some debris might be left in the binary file structure by the above process. In a perfect world, rather than paste and unlike, you would choose Edit

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have clicked on the image pressed Ctrl+shift+F9 but nothing happened? I also need to email this document and the images are not on the internet to link to therefore will linking the images not work in this instance?

Hooray !!!!
    I optimised the images in through Adobe photoshop then imageready. I tried to delete & re-import into the original document but the file size remained the same. I then built a new word document & now I have a file size of 240K.

Thanks for your help everyone.