New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Bookmarks/Headers & Footers (Word 2000)

Any help gratefully accepted! I am trying to create within an existing template a footer which says "continued", but only if the letter goes on to the next page, or on any subsequent pages, and then a header on page two and onward if relevant that will have the following information on each successive line - i.e. Page 2 (next line) Mr A Green (which it would pick up from the address of the letter (obviously a bookmark of some kind???) and then the date on the next line. I know this isn't very clear, but if ANYONE can help, I would be eternally grateful. If you need clarification on what I mean (which I'm sure you will) please contact me. Many many thanks Nic.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word Bookmarks/Headers & Footers (Word 2000)

In the footer you will need a field code which looks like this but the brackets must be added as fields (press Ctrl-F9)
    {If {Page}<{Numpages}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Following on from a PM... To create the bookmark for the 'Mr A Green'

Select that text
    Choose Insert > Bookmark
    Type in the name "Addressee"
    Press the Add button

Each time you add a new address you may need to reset this bookmark as you will most likely miss the bookmark ends when you type the new address. You can see the invisible bookmarks if you choose Tools > Options > View - and tick the Bookmarks tick box in the Show section.

If you think this resetting the bookmark is a drag, you're right. Another possibility is to use a unique stylename in the document for the line which contains the address. If it was called "Addressee" then you could use a field in the footer which looks like this
    {styleref "Addressee" @ mergeformat}
    Make sure you don't use this style anywhere else or your footer will display the contents of that paragraph.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew, Thanks again but unfortunately I can't get it to work if I am only doing one page - the document still has a header on the second page - what do I need to do to say to my template "do this only if the letter goes onto two pages..." Sorry if I seem a bit dense, but its driving me crazy. Incidentally - I can't work out the bookmark stuff either, but I won't bug you about that anymore - I'll figure it out somehow. I have attached a file to show you exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nicola:
    Open your template (not just a document based on your template) & delete the second page. If you click the show/hide button on your toolbar, the one with the backwards P, you'll see that you have blank paragraph marks. You need to delete those.

If you set up a template like this again, you can save a step by first creating your second page header WITHOUT creating a second page. i.e. just create a header the way you usually do for a first page. THEN go back to File/Page setup.../Layout tab & tick the Different first page option. You can then create the first page header.

Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try the attached file. Put in your content before going to page view to see the headers and footers.

I suspect the problem you were having with the bookmarks was you were bookmarking an insertion point rather than a text selection.
    Attached Files Attached Files