New Lounger

wrongly contnued numbered list. (word 97 SR-2)

Dear Woody members,

I have a little problem with Word '97, which I haven't been able to solve so far.
    So hopefully you people can give me any clues about the following:

I have created a master document and included several subdocuments with success.
    But every subdocument contains one or more numbered list(s). numbered 1. 2. 3. etc.

When I look at the master document I see that at several places the numbered list(s) are numbered succesive e.g. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
    But that's not what I want, I want the same numbered lists as inside the subdocuments e.g. 1. 2. 3. and for the following subdocument 1. 2. 3. again.
    In some way word doesn't restart the numbered list(s) but it continues numbering successively.

Does anybody knows this problem and has a clue for it? I really would appreciate that!

Uranium Lounger
    Los Angeles Area, California, USA

Re: wrongly contnued numbered list. (word 97 SR-2)

Hi Mark:
    Let me start by saying that most everyone recommends against NOT using the Master document feature. John McGhie, Word MVP, says there are two types of master documents...those that are corrupt & those that will corrupt.

Having said that, take a look at <post#=76976>post 76976</post#> and see if that post or thread helps explain the problem regarding numbering.

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: wrongly contnued numbered list. (word 97 SR-2)

If you want to control list numbering then the only way is by using macros.

Whilst I don't use Master documents, I can understand where this problem is coming from and again you will need a macro to fix the recurrent problem which will most likely recur every time you open the master document. This is because the first list in a document doesn't hold the local formatting to reset the list and the local formatting for list restarts is lost when you copy a number of correctly formatted lists to another document.

The macro solution I use searchs for each of the list styles and everywhere the pattern breaks the next entry is told to restart at one. Because we won't share the same style name rules and patterns the macro is not going to be vey useful for you.

The best recommendation is for you to avoid the master documents as you will most likely never resolve this issue without a macro to run each time you open the master.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia