Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoInsert Date

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoInsert Date

Hi,

I want a template to auto-insert the date from the system clock in Word2000 - how can I do that?
    This should only happen when I trigger the template from a toolbar macro button. It should not happen each time the file is opended for editing by any user.

Thanks v. much,

m.q.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoInsert Date

Dear Musab

First create a bookmark at the point where the date is to be inserted.
    Next, write the following macro:

Sub Macro1()
    '
    ' Macro1 Macro
    ' Macro recorded 3/14/01 by Rajesh
    '
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="Date"
    Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:= _
    "DATE @ ""dd MMMM yyyy""", PreserveFormatting:=True
    End Sub

Lastly, assign this macro to an icon on your template toolbar.

Trust this will meet your need.

Cheers

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the template to insert the date automatically every time a new document based on that template, you should create the macro in the ThisDocument object of the template as follows :

Private Sub Document_New()
    Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="Date"
    Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="d MMMM, yyyy", InsertAsField:=False
    Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
    End Sub

This macro only runs in the event of a new document being created, and does not run if you open an existing document based on the template. You nee to make sure you have a Bookmark called Date for the above example to run. You can of course change that to whatever suits, or remove the first line altogether. You can also alter the Date Format picture to whatever format you use.

This inserts the date as a static value, i.e it is not updated. If you want the time entered as a field change InsertAsField:=False to InsertAsField:=True, and the time will update to the current time.

Hope that works for you

Andrwe C

BAM

Hi m.q.

If you are creating new files based on your template then use the CreateDate field. (Insert/Field)

This will insert the creation date of the new file and it will not update.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

However, having the field there makes it a real PITA if you do need to change the date. For example, I create a letter and save it to disk. Two weeks later I actually get around to printing and mailing the letter, so I have to change the date. That's much easier if the date is in there as just text.
    Legare Coleman

BAM

Hi Legare,

Perhaps you missed what I was referring to. The CreateDate will be the same date the document was created - it will not change on you.

Or are you wanting to prevent having to type the entire date if you want to change it?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No, I didn't miss what you were saying (I did not write the initial question). In my case, I would want to insert the create date, and I would not want it to change automatically. All I am saying is that I would prefer to have the date inserted as text, not in a field, so that if I do need to change it I can change just the part of the date that needs to be changed. For example, if all I need to change is the day of the month, I don't have to delete the field and retype the entire date.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Legare:

Another way to insert the date, that I like, is to insert it as a field & then lock it. I have the date field locked in my template. Whenever I create a new document based on that template, the current date is entered, but in a locked field. If it takes me two weeks to finish the letter, I just unlock the field & update it, then lock it again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the advantage of having it in a field, locked or unlocked, vs plain text if it is a fixed value that is not going to change?
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Another question related to Legare's: How can one tell whether or not a field is locked?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm assuming that it can change. By having it in a letter template, for example, letters that are written & mailed the same day, have the current date. Letters (or whatever) that take several days can be changed to the date of mailing. And if you need to resend the letter months later with a new date, you can unlock the field, print it, & close it without saving. In the long run, it's probably just a matter of preference, as it takes very little time to change a date.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can put the mouse over it & right click; if it's locked, there won't be an update option. But you raise a good point. I wish there were a visual way to know; like a different shading.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Bu a file has only one create date. Therefore, if you insert a field with the create date, it should never change. If the field is print date, or save date, or current date, etc., then yes those do change and it makes sense to have those in a field. If I am going to insert the create date, I prefer to use a macro to insert it as text because that is much less trouble to change manually when I have to change it. If I need to change the date from 25 December 2001 to 26 December 2001, I just have to hilite one character and type one character. If it was a create date field, I would have to delete the field and type the entire date.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that tip, Phil. It's useful to be reminded of the right mouse click, and the extrra options it offers.

BAM

<<as it takes very little time to change a date>>

Ahh.... I remember the days when changing a date meant that you had to retype the entire letter on a typewriter! <grin>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast