Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks (Word 2000 SP3)

Hi all

I have a problem with hyperlinks. I can insert them into a document no problem but - I am creating an index page with hyperlinks to document. I need to transfer these documents onto CD Rom and when I do that the link is lost. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this.

Thanks in Advance

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks (Word 2000 SP3)

When inserting the hyperlinks, you need to pay attention to the tick box that says "Use relative path for hyperlink" and then ensure that the same relative position in the directory structure is maintained on the CD (ie keep the files together in the same directories as when you set up the hyperlinks)
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

I have had a look at the screen when setting up hyperlinks and there doesn't seem to be an option for "use relative path in hyperlink". I have attached a picture of the dialog box as it appears on my screen - am I missing something
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Whoops - No you are not missing anything. I was looking at a Word 97 machine at the time and Word 2000 has a different dialog. In Word 2000 the file appears to be linked relatively by default although you can enter the complete path to override that setting.

The help file does mention the following about the hyperlink base:

Set a hyperlink base for a document
    Use this procedure when you want to set the path for all the hyperlinks in a document

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that - I think I am being really stupid but if I type the full path will it still not point to the document where it is stored at that point and not allow me to move it? For example if I was working with a document setting hyperlinks to go to another document all stored in a folder on my desktop called Theresa - if I transfer that folder onto CD rom will it not fail as it is looking for my desktop?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The way that Word 2000 links appears to be using relative hyperlinks so if all files are in the same folder, copying them to CD will not cause the links to break as the hyperlink will look in the same directory as the open file.

If you are worried about it, test it out - you only stand to lose a CD which costs less than a buck and is a whole lot cheaper than your time - I hope.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think the answer to your problem is to change some web option settings. On the file tab of the web options unclick "update links on save." Then when you save Word won't point to the local file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where do I find this tab - on the hyperlink screen I get I dont see it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if its a solution to your problem but the Web options can be found by clicking on the main menu

Tools - Options - General tab - Web options button (down the bottom) - Files tab

Regards,

Matthew