Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot close IE6 (IE6 SP1)

I am running win98ME and had loaded IE6 some time ago onto my kids PC. I am using for the first time in a long time and have found that I cannot shut down IE windows. I have downloaded SP1 but it has made no difference. I also tried a windows update but the system just hangs when it attempts to identify my configuration. When I retry the I get an error message with the msvbvm60.dll.

I have searched the MS knowledge base but cannot find any info so any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    AB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot close IE6 (IE6 SP1)

This likely barely qualifies as 'any help', but first let's find out if there is something wrong with your msvbvm60.dll. That is all I can see to work with...

This is the "Visual Basic Virtual Machine". Locate that file on your computer and look at its Properties. If your computer is truly up-to-date, then the Version is "6.00.9237" and the Modified Date of this file should be: "Thursday, August 23, 2001 4:00:00 AM". It should have a size of: "1.32 MB (1,388,544 bytes) 1,409,024 bytes used", however, the Find box says the size is "1,356 KB" -- go figure. If you know how to check the MD5 HASH, on my machine I get: f4 0c 65 cb a5 ac 3f 65 70 d2 c8 8a a2 d3 c6 8e. (If that makes no sense to you, just skip it).

Interestingly, I can find NO other file that was "Created" around the same date as this file, so I am NOT sure where it came from. I suspect if you update your Visual Basic RunTime files, you would get this file. There are several sources, but KarenWare is fairly trustworthy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Here's a link to the MS support site that will get more links to the various VB runtime files: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];vbruntime&.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I had a hard time locating that on the MS site. Also of note, the link on that page is for VBRuntimes6sp5 -- but the most recent is sp6!

That file is Msvbvm60.dll 6.0.89.64 -- which is obviously younger than 6.0.92.37.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

that strange. there's no mention of SP6 on the Visual Studio pages. Only Visual Source Safe SP6. The only Visual Studio service pack mentioned is SP5.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Agreed, but the version that ships with WinXP is essentially an 'sp6' version since the file's version numbers have changed. KarenWare is offering the sp6 version as a download. Jasons-Toolbox still has the sp5 version. I don't know the differences...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is this happening on two operating systems (98 and ME?) Open Windows Explorer | select Folder Options from the View Menu
    then click on the View tab and scroll down to Hidden Files and select Show all files | press Apply
    Then do a file | find for MSVBVM60.DLL (post versions that you have here)
    Also try this: go to start | run and type SFC (system file checker) See instruction for W98 SFC here

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I am running Windows ME only and I have loaded the MSVBSM60.DLL files from microsoft via the link previously posted. Since doing this I havent seen the error but I still cannot close the windows. Some pop up windows are able to be shut down but the main windows (or subsequent windows that open from links) cannot be shut down.

I have also found that I cannot use the tab key in IE but it works in Word and Excel.

Any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you checked for viruses?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How have you tried to shut them down:

1) Clicking the "X" in the upper right corner
    2) Clicking the "e" in the upper left corner and selecting "X Close"
    3) Selecting "File | Close" from the Menu bar
    4) Hitting Alt+F4
    5) Using Ctrl-Alt-Del and Ending the Task.

You might want to check exactly what other programs are running in at the same time -- perhaps one of them it interfering.

Also, you might try to "Repair IE" (usually found under Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs).