Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Crashing (Word XP SR2)

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me. I recently removed Office 97 and installed Office XP - I am also running Windows XP. 4 days after installation ( running without any crashes) I realised that I needed to add some "extras" so I ran the CD again and updated some files. I have since started experiencing Word crashing. I found a solution on the Lounge or Google (unfortunately I cannot remember where !) which advised that after adding a component I should reapply service packs 1 and 2. I have attempted this today but Service Pack 1 will not reapply - I keep getting an error saying "This update has already been applied". Should I just go for a complete uninstall or does anyone have a clever way of getting the SP to run? I would be obliged with any advice.

Thanks

Re: Word Crashing (Word XP SR2)

The way SPs are supposed to work is that the Windows Installer carefully checks, after adding components, for any updates from hidden copies of the SPs that it has stashed away. Whether this actually really works reliably, or not, I don't know.

Can you describe the crashes in a bit more detail? Is there a pattern? What features did you add?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Crashing (Word XP SR2)

I unfortunately can't remember everything I added but I did add in the Excel converters; some stationery to Outlook - nothing advanced I don't think! It was the "Word has to close etc" error that came up asking me if I wanted to send a report to MS. I just clicked "don't send" as I normally do. If it happens again today I'll take note of what the error actually says.

Thanks for your support!