New Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing a global.mpp (2000)

2. Is there any way of sharing a global.mpp using MS Project 2000? We are currently investigating bringing on Project Server but that decision is at least 6months out due to establishing user requirements, beta testing scheme, load testing guide, training program strategy etc.

We are currently running MSProj. 2000 with 20+ users in our PMO. The difficulty is that out template file contains many Macro's that need to be stored both in the project file and on the global.mpp? The difficulty lies when a change to a macro needs to be made that is stored on the global.mpp. The MSProj admin then needs to go to everyone desktop and update each individual users global.mpp.

In word, you can point to global.dot that is stored on a network for everyone to use. Is there anyway of setting up project to handle the global in the same manner?

Paco

Thanks

Re: Sharing a global.mpp (2000)

Let me see if I understand your question. You are using one project stored on a network to be used as a template. The project on the network contains many macro's that may be updated or changed. However, these changes are not automatically available in the other prjoects without updating each project on each machine.

You want to know if these changes can be made available to each project.

To do this, ensure that the Macros (Modules) are written to the Global.MPT file using the organizer. (Go to Tools / Organizer). When a project is opened, the Global.MPT file loads with the project file.

This may be a problem if you are using a shared copy of MS Project on a network and you might have to copy the views from one project to another.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing a global.mpp (2000)

Hey Gary,

The work around I found that will be useful, I found in Woody's Project Archives after someone told me to search the archive for global sharing.

If you store a global file in the same directory as the mpp file, launching the project file will cause MSProject to load the global in that directory (bypassing the default global).

Thanks for helping out..

Paco