Lounger
    Thanks

ActiveSync - Install Problem - Nothing happens

With Windows XP and PocketPC 2002, I cannot install ActiveSync on my desktop & laptop computers. I have ActiveSync 3.5 and click the msactivesync.exe download. A window opens showing that files are being copied. The window disappears, the mouse shows the hour glass for a few seconds, and then .... nothing. When I check the processes in the Task Manager, I see that Is_setup.exe, setup.exe, and msactivesync.exe are running, but there is nothing on the screen. Before statring the install, I stop ALL running applications, including virus protection, fire wall, and EVERYTHING else. I also tried running the install directly from the Microsoft web site (i.e., opening the file rather than saving it). I have the same problem with the new ActiveSync 3.6. I even ran msconfig and rebooted in diagnostic mode, with the same result. This happens on both my desktop and my laptop.

Can anyone suggest what to do? I assume that I am not the only one with this roadblock. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ActiveSync - Install Problem - Nothing happens

I've only installed activesync off the CD. That experience may not be relevant, but I've had no problems with XP. It sounds like you may not be a local admin when you do this. Have you checked for that?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, in my sign-on name, I am an administrator. There is also a separate sign-on for under the name Administrator, and I'll give that a try. I also used the CD that came with my HP Jornada (bad timing with that purchase!), and I get the same "nothing happens" result. Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe--

By now I'm sure you have some version of active sync in, but I would go to the MS Pocket PC Site and download the latest active sync 3.7 now from the 3.7 download site. There may be some tips to using active sync here or with the Active Sync Troubleshooter.

SMBP