Heather Ress

Word2000: Reviewing Toolbar

Since upgrading to Office 2000, the Reviewing toolbar in Word disappears every time I close Word and I need to redisplay it.
    How do I get the toolbar to stay on the screen, without re-creating a toolbar with the same buttons?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word2000: Reviewing Toolbar

On first observation I see no problem......my toolbar stays on after I close and re-open Word

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using more than one Template? As long as I display it while using the Normal.dot it displays when I reopen Word. If I display it while using another template, then exit Word and re-open it's gone.
    egghead

Heather Ress

Yes, we are using Normal.dot and a global template containing autotext entries.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Heather:

I don't have access to Word 2000 now, but I'll try a couple of ideas that might work. My thoughts are that this could be caused by anything from a simple setting in options (a guess, because I can't think of which option would affect it) to a corrupt registry key. Try these steps one at a time.

1. Start by searching your hard drive for normal.dot using Find...Files & Folders. Right click & open it (don't double click because that will create a new document). Open the reviewing toolbar. Type a space, then arrow back & delete the space (this will mark it dirty & save it). Then close Word, saving changes. Then reopen & see if you still have a problem. Then exit Word.

2. Search for & delete the Word.pip file (this contains some information on positioning of toolbars). Start Word & see if that helps.

3. Rename normal.dot to normalold.dot. Start Word, open the reviewing toolbar, then close & save changes. See if the new normal.dot allows it to retain settings.

4. You might also check the Word startup folder to see if there are any add-ins that might be affecting the initial display of Word. If there are any, you could temporarily move them out & see if that helps. If it does, then move them back in one at a time & locate the culprit.

5. Finally, you can delete the Data key in the registry. In a different question, BAM posted the following URL for instructions on doing this.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErr...ngMenusEtc.htm</A>

Hope this helps.