Heather Ress

Word2000: Prompted to save changes to Normal.dot

Every time I exit Word 2000, I am prompted to save changes to my Normal template. This happens regardless of whether or not I have made changes to it. How can I turn this off, without changing the save option, as I need to be prompted when I have made changes which may or may not need to be saved to the template?

BAM

Re: Word2000: Prompted to save changes to Normal.dot

Hi Heather,

This can happen if you have an add-in from Stamps.com or Microsoft Works. If either or both are, they would appear under Tools/Templates and Add-Ins.

You can uninstall the add-ins in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

If you need specifics on how to uninstall, this article from the MS KB will provide the details:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/7/63.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q241/7/63.ASP</A>

Another option would be to turn off the Prompt to Save Normal in Tools/Options/Save, however that isn't necessarily recommended. The whole intent behind being alerted to changes that are made is to help circumvent a possible virus.

You don't have to uninstall the add-in(s), however you will be prompted each time you exit Word.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Heather Ress

Hi Bam

Thanks, but I don't have any add-ins loaded. I need to be prompted when I have made changes to the normal.dot. However, even when I have not made changes, this prompt appears.

Thanks
    Heather

BAM

Hi Heather,

If you are getting the prompt then something is being changed.

This could be an indication of a possible virus.

When is the last time you updated your virus scanner and scanned all files?

Another way to see if this is the case is to go to Tools/Macro/Macros and see if there are any macros that you didn't create that have been added.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!