5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Report Crashes (Access 2K SR1)

Access has suddenly started to behave badly. On my desktop PC, when I click on any report in preview or design mode it first does nothing, i.e., refuses to open. Repeated clicks produces a freeze. Sometimes it just closes Access down. I copied the database to my notebook across the network and everything works fine there, so I know the database is not corrupt. Both are running Windows XP Home. I used my Office 2k SR-1 CD to first repair Office, and then "reinstall using your original setup", all to no avail.
    My notebook is running WinXp SP-1, the desktop just WinXP. Any clues?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report Crashes (Access 2K SR1)

The obvious suggestion is to apply SP-1 to the desktop machine. Is there some reason you haven't tried that?
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, there is. I never got around to upgrading the desktop! I will try it as soon as I get back from a trip, but I'm skeptical. Reasons are:
    (1) It was working fine on both machines until about a week ago. It sure looks like an Access problem, not an OS problem. Every other program on that PC is working just fine. When I troubleshoot I like to limit the changes to the system. Since it was working fine for months on WinXP original I didn't want to muddy the waters by doing the upgrade. However, I've been wrong before, and I certainly will try the upgrade when I return.
    (2) Since my post I tried it on an NT machine. Works fine.

Any other suggestions for me to mull while I'm traveling?
    Thanks, Howard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How did you do the copy to your notebook - by simply moving the MDB file(s if it's split), or by creating a new database and importing all the object from the database on the desktop machine. If it was the latter, you desktop version may be corrupt.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving the mdb file to the notebook across the network. It's a simple database with everything in one mdb file. I also e-mailed it to the NT machine.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm back from my trip and upgraded the desktop to WinXP SP-1. Same results. Any new suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is it possible that the crashes have something to do with the print driver used by reports? Printers can often cause strange behavior in Access (and other apps). The only other thing to try that I can think of is to create a new empty database and then import everything into it and see if that fixes it - frankly in your case it sounds like a long shot, though it often fixes bizzare problems.
    Wendell