New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge with Access query (XP)

My question is on running a Word Mail Merge with an Access query as the data source. I've recently upgraded Word to XP but Access is 97. When I do the mail merge the query isn't recognized and I've narrowed it down to the criteria ? and *. I know Word has changed to recognize new symbols for those but my question is, how can I make this work with the old Access and new Word. If I change the symbols in Access, they aren't recognized there. But if I
    don't change them, Word doesn't recognize them. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks! And why did they have to change those characters???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge with Access query (XP)

I don't understand the problem you are having. There was a change made in the default manner that Word XP uses to talk to Access when doing merges, as it now defaults to OLE DB, but Access 97 doesn't know about that method, so you have to force Word to use DDE. But I don't believe there were any changes in the way that wildcard characters behave. Are you trying to apply criteria in Access or in Word?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am applying the criteria in Access in my query, and when I choose the Access query to merge with Word I don't see any data. If I change my wildcard characters (* to % and ? to _) in Access I don't see any data in the query when I run it but if I just save it and merge it with Word I see the data in Word when I do the mail merge. How do I force Word to use DDE?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is your query a parameter query where you have to respond to a dialog box before it runs? Do you get the expected result when the query is run from the Access database container window? Is by chance your Access data coming from a SQL Server database that you have linked tables via ODBC? This Technet article describes the problem you are having. I'll have to do some added digging to determine how to get at the DDE option from the user interface rather than from code as we usually do.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

When I do a mail merge using the mailmerge task panel, and click Browse... in step 3, I get a choice of methods - see attached screenshot (the captions are in Dutch, but you'll get the idea).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.JPG (17.6 KB, 0 views)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    Is that with Word 2002 or an earlier version - since you mention Step 3 I presume it is 2002. In any event, we have noticed different behavior depending on your operation system, which doesn't seem intuitive at all. In particular, with WinME you often don't get that dialog box, but get another. In addition, if you have security active, you get different dialogs as well - all a bit confusing to say the least. But if the original poster sees that dialog box, that is where the option should be specified.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Wendell,

This is Word 2002 (SP1) under Windows XP Home (SP1), both in the Dutch-language version.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,
    To force the dialog to appear I believe you can tick Tools/Options/General/Confirm conversion at Open.
    Regards.
    Ed

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for working on this! Since my last post I too had discovered that on one of our computers that box does come up in step 3 when you go to Browse, and I chose MS Access via DDE and it all worked. On our other computers that doesn't come up, but if you go to Choose a New Data Source, then OLE DB Database Files, then ODBC DSN, then MS Access Database, then go find your Access file, it works. That was alot of work just to get to it! So the last piece of the puzzle was how to get that box from Step 3 to come up on all the machines and then Ed came up with it!!! So thank you all, I think this will work.
    I wonder why they changed the mail merge to be so completely different when it was so easy before???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<<I wonder why they changed the mail merge to be so completely different when it was so easy before??? >>
    You aren't the first to ask that question, and I very much doubt you will be the last. There are some advantages to the new scheme, but it places a number of constraints on what you can do in situations that require more sophisticated queries as the data source of the merge. We routinely run merges from Access using Automation, and the changes caused some grief there too. If you are interested in that approach, check out our website tutorial on the subject.
    Wendell