Lounger
    Thanks

Email Pop-up dialogue box (Access 97 SR2)

I am using the Send Object command to send selected reports using GroupWise in Novell Network. The following statement is used to attach a report to GroupWise email and send it to specific user. There could be anywhere from 1 to 300 e-mail sent at a any one time.

DoCmd.SendObject acReport,
    "rptDataEntryCheckToEmail", _
    "SnapshotFormat(*.snp)", strTo, _
    strCC, "", strSubject, strBody, False, ""

This works great, however, when the user clicks Email command button "Choose Profile" dialogue box pops up. The dialogue box defaults to "Novel Default Settings" and all the user has to do is click OK button to continue.

The dialogue box is only displayed once regardless of how many records the SendEmail function are processed or how many e-mails are sent to various email addresses.

The problem with "Choose Profile" dialogue box is the fact that same users click Email button and walking away thinking the process is going to take a long time so they may as well do something else in the mean time. However, if the user walks away too quickly the user may not click OK when "Choose Profile" dialogue box pops up.

The email function takes anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes to process filtered records and send e-mail remainders to selected people. If the user does not click OK button when prompted by "Choose Profile" dialogue box, he or she comes back later to find that "Choose Profile" dialogue box is still there waiting for someone to click OK button.

At that stage the user gets really angry with the &%&^ programmer who didn't program the application to automatically send e-mails without the $%^ dialogue box coming up in the first place.

As the programmer in the firing line I am begging anyone to tell me how to use DoCmd.SendObject without "Choose Profile" dialogue box coming up at all. Help, users of this application are after blood (my blood). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Pop-up dialogue box (Access 97 SR2)

I hate to disappoint you, but it isn't an Access issue. Your are most likely running into a security setting in Windows or Novell Netware that requires a login to the email profile. This happens in Outlook as well when the security patches have been applied, and the only way around it is to not do it that way. If Groupwise is MAPI-compliant, you may be able to program around this using Redemption, which uses extended MAPI calls instead of MAPI and so doesn't trigger the security issues that the MAPI calls do. It works quite nicely with Access 97, although I have no experience of it with Groupwise.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Pop-up dialogue box (Access 97 SR2)

Thanks for your replay Charlotte, I'll see what I can do to make the necessary change.