2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chinese characters (XP)

I'm studying Chinese and want to create flash cards for studying the Chinese characters (ideagrams -- those funny characters that represent words). Anyone have any idea as to how to make my Windows XP/Office XP machine create and print Chinese characters? Since I am an individual, rather than a copmpany, i can't (apparently) get the MultiUser Language Pack, so I'm trying to find a different solution.

Thanks for your help
    Bob Chapman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chinese characters (XP)

What version of Office XP are you running, Professional, Premium, Home, or what?
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chinese characters (XP)

First of all, install Universal Font. To do so, make sure you have your Office XP Installation CD ready. Then go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Choose "Microsoft Office XP..." from the list and click "Change" button. On the next screen, choose "Add/Remove Features" (usually already checked) and click Next. Then expand "Features to install" until you see Microsoft Office | Office Shared Features | International Support | Universal Font. Click it and from pop-up menu choose "Run from My Computer" (you can also activate Traditional and Simplified Chinese Font, if you like). Click Update and insert your CD, when prompted. After installation is completed, open Word (or other Office application), your Office document (template for your flash cards), put your cursor on place when you want a Chinese character to appear, and from menu choose Insert | Symbol. On the next screen, click Symbols tab (already open), choose "MS UI Ghotic" from "Font" drop-down list and choose your character. To speed up search for Chinese character, you can choose appropriate subset from "Subset" drop-down list (Enclosed CJK Letters, CJK Unified Ideographs and so on). Click Insert button. Repeat this process for another character.
    Good luck.

New Lounger
    Thanks

'Beautiful view. Is there 1 for the enlisted men?'

... as the old Bill Mauldin cartoon caption has it. That is, translating into current context, is there any comparable Chinese character presentation method (Microsoft or indie) for those of us using less trendy software than the XP family? Specifically, I need to insert characters into Excel spreadsheet cells. Would prefer doing this on computer running Windows 3.11 & Excel 5.0, but can if necessary use a Windows 98 machine running same Excel version. Hopeless?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Beautiful view. Is there 1 for the enlisted men?'

Excel 5.0 doesn't support Unicode fonts, AFAIk, so you would have to find a dedicated Chinese font. You should be able to find one for Win9x by doing a Google search for "chinese font", but I don't know about Win3.11.