New Lounger
    Thanks

Access Violation working in tables (Word 97 SR2)

I have created a template with a table in the header and footer, and a page border. There is also a table in the body of the document and that is where the trouble lies. I needed a document with paralell columns so I created a 2 column table. I can generally get 10 to 12 table rows filled in before I suddenly get "Winword.exe Exception: Access Violation 0x0000005, Address0x30331a3". Word generates an error log and shuts down. There seems to be no way to get around the crash. reopening the document just generates the same message in the same spot. Is this a bug? Is there another way to accomplish what I need to do? I have attached the problem file. Adding anything to the table beyond what is there will cause a crash.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Access Violation working in tables (Word 97 SR2)

Sometimes documents get corrupted. When Word doesn't have any helpful information for you, you can try to flush out the corruption in a variety of ways, such as copying all of the last paragraph to a new document. With this much formatting, the first thing to try probably is saving as RTF and then opening and save as a normal document again. I resaved the document in Word 2000 (which had no problem with it). Not sure if that will make any difference, but who knows?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Using Word 97, I couldn't clear the corruption by saving as .rtf. Your table is corrupt. If you convert the 2 column part of the table to text & then back to a table, it should clear up. You have extra tabs in those columns, however. I used the following steps:
    1. Convert the 2 column section of the table to text.
    2. Select the text & replace tabs with %%%.
    3. Convert the text back to tabs.
    4. Change the %%% back to tabs. You may have to play with the tab stops.

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cass:
    Thank you for posting the solution. I'm sure it will help someone in the future.

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 26-Feb-03 16:11. )</P>Edited: <!t><!/t> and <!t>.<!/t> tags added around the article number to make the link live. -Mod.

Thank you all for you suggestions. I think I found the problem. A co-worker suggested searching MS Knowledge base. I did and found article 279501, Error Message when you scroll in Document that contains table. It seems the setting for the border can cause the problem I experienced. I changed the settings and have not had a problem. Thanks again for your help
    Cass