Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Menus (XP)

I have attempted to create a new menu for a new project and am having some problems. I went into Tools/Customize, created a new menu and added items, (all of which were forms) which I want the users to be able to access.

I have found that when I exit Access and then open it again, the custom menu appears, but the menu items do not open the form. When I tried to link the menu item, I could only link it to the database, not to the form, so when I clicked on the menu item, it only opened the project, not the form itself. What do I need to do to get the form to open when it is selected on the custom menu ? All help is appreciated. Thanx

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Creating Menus (XP)

I think you are pursuing a dangerous path. If you are creating an application for users, you don't really want them playing with the menus, as they can do lots of damage to your database. I would suggest you look at the switchboard form which you can create with the switchboard manager. It is designed to do exactly what you are trying to do, that is open forms and reports - though you can do some other things from it as well, such as running code.

Question - you mention project - are you doing this as an ADP project or an Access MDB database?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I have is an AR package which is currently in DOS, that I am trying to re-engineer within Access. I don't think it is a project in the Access sense. Poor verbage on my part. I just have the data within one .mdb, and the forms, reports within another .mdb.

I will check out the switchboard manager. Thank you for the input. I sure don't want to put my code in harm's way!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I investigated into the switchboards, and was able to get exactly what I was looking for... a menu that opened forms but didn't allow the code to be accessible!!! Thank you very much!