Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can 97 & XP coexist? (Word97 SR2b)

Is there a way of installing Office XP over Office 97, retaining Word 97 but replacing the rest of Office? I want access to both versions of Word (not simultaneously). Can this be done without clobbering Word 97? A complication is that Word 97 has the WOPR add-on, so if XP grabs the existing normal.dot there might be non-functional menu commands etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can 97 & XP coexist? (Word97 SR2b)

I've got both Word XP and Word 97, and they seem to co-exist without any problem.

I previously had Office 97 with Windows NT 4, and they were replaced, completely, by Office XP and Windows 2000. I subsequently re-installed just Word 97. I use a separate Normal template for each version, and add-ins (but not WOPR) with Word XP but not with Word 97.

Once I start Word XP after using Word 97 an installation-type box appears briefly with a "Preparing to install... " message, but as I understand things (from reading a Microsoft Knowledge Base article, if my memory's correct) that's expected and nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks

You might want to browse for tips on this over on the General Office Solutions board, where it is discussed frequently.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both. I'll take the cruise over to GOS.