New Lounger
    Thanks

TOA (Table of Authorities) (2000 (9.0.442 SR-1))

I just finished creating a Table of Authorities for an appellate brief that must be filed on Monday. Although I have marked both the long and short citations and the codes for all short form or subsequent references to the cases are in the document, the Table of Authorities only lists 1 page for each case. There are a number of cases that are referenced at least 4 or 5 times after the initial citation, but Word is not displaying any of the other page numbers. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem. If not, I'll have to go through the document, page by page and manually enter the appropriate page numbers.
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOA (Table of Authorities) (2000 (9.0.442 SR-1))

Maybe you could attach the document here? Have you tried printing the document from another computer? (and you have updated the field - the TOA is a field - press F9 anywhere in the TOA)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Towana: When you select to Insert TofA, make sure "use passim" is unchecked.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond. I have generated the table of authorities and printed the file from other computers and everything remains the same. I have also made sure the fields are updated. I work at a law firm and was told that I could not attach the document unless it had been stripped of anything that could identify our client or the opposing party. Things have calmed down a bit, so I will try to attach a copy of the document as soon as I finish stripping it. I have played with the table of authorities feature quite a bit since my original post, and I noticed that if I mark every occurrence as though it were the LONG form, the table of authorities generates correctly. That means that there is something wrong with the way I mark the subsequent references with the short form feature. When I view the codes, the short form references appear to be marked correctly, but the page numbers for those subsequent references are not included when I generate a table of authorities. I am aware that passim has to be unchecked or it will effect subsequent page number references, and I always uncheck it because the attorneys at my firm do not like it. Thanks again for your assistance.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I did know about passim and I did uncheck it, but it doesn't fix the problem. Thanks again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Towana:
    Since your under a deadline & it's dangerous to upload a file that is covered by work product privilege, don't upload it unless you know how to & do strip out metadata.

When you created the TOA, did you create it "From template"? Perhaps you could post the code that you see in the TOA...something like

{ TOA h c "1" }

Could you also post the code from one of the citations, both long & short? You can change the actual case name & page number, if you like. Does it look something like:

{ TA l "People v. Somebody (1956) ## Cal.2d ###, ###" s "People v. Somebody" c 1 }

Also, turn on field codes (Alt+F9) & make sure that the cases that you're referring to on subsequent pages are actually marked.

In case there's corruption, try the following.
    1. Make a copy of the document, so that you don't ruin the original.
    2. Open this document & make sure field codes are showing (Alt+F9)
    3. Select everything in the copy except the last paragraph mark & copy it to a brand new document. If you have sections in your document, then copy the text in each section one at a time, WITHOUT including the section breaks.
    4. In the new document, do a Find/Replace as follows:
    a. Press Ctrl+H to bring up the dialog box & click More
    b. Find: ^d
    c. ReplaceAll: leave blank

This should get rid of all your fields in the document.

5. Now redo the marking of the citations & redo the TOA.

Hope this helps.