Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry files rbo1,02,03,04,05

In the Mellinium OS <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">C:/windows/sysbckup folder carries registry files it updates each day. rb01,rb02,03,04,05</span hi> .These files are compressed into zip files.
    Does anyone know if these files can be used to reset your registry,and how? I have winzip 8.1,can unzip them,no sweat.Know all about and use "System Restore".Please bear with me and if you can answer the question directly.Step 1.2.3.etc.
    Tnx,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registry files rbo1,02,03,04,05

<hr>...Know all about and use "System Restore"...<hr>
    I'm not sure what you want to know, if you're already familiar with System Restore and if you know that those backups are Zip'd files. After seeing what they contain, you can either do it yourself, manually, or follow the instructions in Help, as attached. Need more?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Big Al, appreciate your input. Yes I know about Scan Registry in System Information,but here's my point:the rb01,02,03,04,05 rotate each day.If you have a bad download that wipes out all Restore points existing at the time of that download and you want to go back <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">prior</span hi> to that screwed up download, How do you do it??If you "copy" the rb file dated prior to the messed up download,put it in say "My Documents," Then you have a reference point prior to the messed up download.Am I right?I ran after I dumped the bad program, Scanreg /fix in my "Run" window and my registry seems to be fine but remember,System Restore only builds on existing registry files.If the first registry file is corrupt,System restore builds on it.Right?And Al I also notice I now have an "rbbad" file located with rb01,02 etc. <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">Can I delete it</span hi> ?Just trying to communicate here and want to thank youi for your courteous help,Respectfully,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Last question first: I always take the conservative approach on questionable files by renaming them and moving to a directory Windows won't find it in. After a time, THEN I would delete the file. I've never noticed a file with "bad" in its name so I suppose it's a copy of what was replaced. Not sure what you mean by "wipes out all Restore points." If something wipes out ALL the RBxx files you're probably nailed. But I don't think you meant that because of what you say next. Personally, I always do registry restores MANUALLY by extracting the files from the CAB file I want, booting my system in DOS and replacing the appropriate files. You've already noted that the dates of the files are not (always) consistent with the numbering. However, you indicate that you used the command SCANREG /FIX and it seems to me you want to run SCANREG /RESTORE, don't you?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes,Al I do,but the dated file rb04 no longer exists in sysbckup folder because those dates rotate everyday,so trying to use Scanreg /restore now will only give me the 5 file choices in sysbckup folder.I won't because everything on my system is running perfectly.I am a home user and when you mention "DOS", the hair on my neck stands up.I know I don't have to use "DOS" to run Scanreg /restore,but I probably do have to run DOS to manually reinstall my rbo4.cab I saved a copy,(extracted a copy) to "My Documents" don't I? That's what your calling a "Manual Restore"?I can pick the .cab file for the computer to restore in DOS.
    On the "bad" file, if you got my attachment you've seen one now!
    The bad download did not wipe out my rb.cab files, it wiped out all my "System Checkpoints" in "System Restore",and I guess when I ran Scanreg /fix it created the bad "rbbad file."Anyway,system is great and I think I'll leave well enough alone. Thanks Al for all your help, Regards,