LukeC

Pasting Unformatted Text

Folks:

In working with Word 2000 formatting - and even with all Woody's help, I still find it frustrating - I have discovered that the process of moving text from one document to another, or even moving text within a document, is made much, much easier if I PASTE the text as unformatted text. Then Word doesn't drag formatting around inappropriately, apply odd new formatting, or require me to hunt through the various ways it might have formatted that text to figure out how to correct the problem.

I do a lot of pasting of unformatted text.

It would be so much simpler if there were a toolbar button that would specifically paste unformatted text. Unfortunately, since the dialog box that pops up under Paste Special has other options, I haven't been able to figure out how to create that one, simple, fine button.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting Unformatted Text

Hi,

I just recorded the macro:

<pre>Sub PasteSpecial()
    Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText, Placement:= _
    wdInLine, DisplayAsIcon:=False
    End Sub
    </pre>

I can assign that macro to a new button by Tools, Customize
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

LukeC

Thanks much!

I should have thought of using a macro. I was looking through the available commands that can be added to a toolbar, and couldn't find it there...

Thanks again.

Luke

BAM

Hi Luke,

As a side note, formatting in Word is based on Styles. You can easily control formatting issues such as those you described by implementing Styles.

If interested here is a little reading on this topic:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/legal/Styles.asp>http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/legal/Styles.asp</A>

Note that this was written by Payne Consulting for the Microsoft Legal Users Guide, but the content is applicable for learning and understanding Styles.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!