Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vlissingen, Netherlands
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Hello,

    I've got a strange problem: We have an application in Access 8.0
    French version. When I run this program in an other Access version, i.e. the
    UK version, and I am referring in a query to a field in a form, the
    UK access does not recognize the name: in the query stands:
    formulair![....] and for the UK version forms![...] is required. So
    the query will give an error result, asking to the field forms.
    Does anyone recognize this problem, and if so, do you have a solution?

    TIA
    JBW

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    16,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Is this a saved query or something built in code? I would have expected a saved query to adjust itself, but I'm not totally surprised if it didn't. You may have to make that adjustment manually to the english form of the reference. Our applications run under the Access runtime, which apparently carries the original language version with it, so we haven't run into this problem.
    Charlotte

  3. #3
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    I use the Dutch language version of Excel 97. The expression builder (Ctrl+F2) creates expressions with the Dutch words for "Forms" and "Reports", but both the Dutch and the English terms are valid. To avoid problems with users having another language version of Access, I decided long ago to use only the English terms in all expressions - either by creating expressions manually or by modifying the results of the Expression Builder. I advise you to do the same - the Dutch terms aren't valid any more in Access 2002 (and probably in Access 2000, but I skipped that version), and I suppose the same holds for the French version of Access 2002, so you might as well get used to it now.

  4. #4
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vlissingen, Netherlands
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Thanks for the reply.
    The query code is built in the Forms.
    >Our applications run under the runtime,......
    What do you mean by that, is the database still an .mdb file?

    TIA
    JBW

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vlissingen, Netherlands
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Thanks for the reply Hans
    Based upon your answer is a solution to use vba code instead of these "built-in" queries and do you know if is that possible?

    TIA
    JBW

  6. #6
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vlissingen, Netherlands
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Thanks very much Hans (hartstikke bedankt voor de info)

    SGRJBW

  7. #7
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Graag gedaan!
    (You're welcome!)

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    Building queries on the fly in VBA can be very useful, and in some circumstances it is the best (or only) solution, but in general, you should create stored queries if possible. Access optimizes stored queries the first time they are executed, so that they will run more efficiently on subsequent execution. Queries that are created dynamically can't be optimized by their nature.

    I don't know the French version of Access 97, but based upon my experience with the Dutch version, I would guess that if you replace (for example) Formulair!frmMonFormulaire!txtSurnom (which should work in the French version, but not in other-language versions) by Forms!frmMonFormulaire!txtSurnom, the query should
    work both in the French and in all other language versions.

    If you want to replace all occurrences of Formulair! in a database by Forms!, you can use a find-and-replace utility to automate this, for instance Rick Fisher's Find And Replace (version 8 for Access 97); you can download it from http://www.rickworld.com.

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    16,775
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Query problem with language (97 SR2)

    The database is still an mdb file but it uses the Access runtime that we package with it. Since we use the US version of Office developer, the runtime does as well.
    Charlotte

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •