New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked database file (2002)

I access my company's network through a VPN, and then access my database via a terminal server client. I was working on a form design when the VPN kicked me out, which killed my connection to the terminal server. The .mdb file for the database still thinks I'm there, the .ldb file still exists for it and for the back end where the tables are. Because I had a form open in design mode, it's locked the file so I can't open or delete it. I have backups of everything, so it's not the tragedy it could have been, but I don't want that file to sit there for eternity. Is there any way to nuke it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked database file (2002)

Can you delete the .ldb files for the front end and back end yourself? If not, can you ask a network administrator to delete them for you? Usually, the problems you describe are over once the .ldb files have been removed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans--

I did try to delete the .ldb files, but it won't let me. It tells me that there is a sharing violation, the source or destination file may be in use.

I have done it in the past, and it worked fine, but I was never in design mode when the connection died. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Would my network admin be able to delete them even in this instance?

Thanks

J

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Janny,

A network administrator should be able to do that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Guys,

Am I wrong to assume that if the database is open by another user that you can not delete the lbd file? And, if it's open you can modify it either?

Somewhere, I have seen someone write code to shut the database down remotely. Sorry, I don't have more info.

KST

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't delete an ldb file if someone else has the database open, but lock files sometimes get stuck and don't get destroyed even though all users have exited the database. That's what appears to be the problem here. There have been threads on this before, but if no one is in the database, then kicking them out doesn't apply. A reboot usually frees the lock for so it can be deleted, but you can't just reboot a server that way.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have two solutions for you.

First, and safest, is to just reinitiate your Terminal Server session. It sounds like you lost the connection, but the session is still live. (You have to physically tell TS to stop your session, otherwise it just keeps it running in the background). If you can't log back into it, you network Admin should be able to 'shadow' that session, to close the applicaiton.

If none of that is possible, have your Network Admin go to the server that has the .mdb on it, and have him/her kill the connections to that file (it does not require a reboot to do this, you can just end sessions or connections).