Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut key for style?

I couldn't find this by a search on "Shortcut AND style", so here goes.

In Excel97 I have created a new style and would like to assign it to a keystroke. How can this be accomplished?

For example, the style "Weekend" I'd like assigned to Ctrl-Shift-W, while "Assigned" would be Ctrl-Shift-A.

In Word97 this is straightforward - it's right there in the Styles dialogue. In EXcel97 I can find no sign of it nor any reference in the Help files, except for pre-defined shortcut keys and the Alt-quote styles menu.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut key for style?

Styles do not appear to a strong point of Excel, and it seems you cannot apply a short key to any custom styles.

If you modify an existing style and apply it by using the Style dropdown list, no problem the new format applies. Try using the Shortcut key and you get the pre-modified version !.

So the best thing for you to do is create your style and then a macro to apply it, and you can apply your desired shortcut key to run the macro.

BTW CTRL+SHIFT+A has a certain usefulness if you do a lot of formulae. It helps with parentheses and argument names once the function name is typed in the formula bar. I like it anyway.

Andrew C

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut key for style?

> create your style and then a macro to apply it, and you can apply your desired shortcut key to run the macro

Andrew, thanks for this. I apologise for taking so long to respond.

I can do the macro-trick. If nothing else a macro gives me a tad more flexibility (I can add other actions to it).