Lounger
    Thanks

categories in word? (2000 SR1)

I am trying to set up a journaling system using Word, but I want to be able to sort the documents by date, file name, and a particular category that I would assign to them. I guess I could set something up like an Access data base, but it seems there ought to be a way to, as I save the document, take care of all that filing info at that time. The reason I used the word "category" is because I like the way in Outlook I can sort contacts by category, or any other way I wish.

I downloaded one particular journaling software, but don't like the way it works. There may be others you would suggest.
    thanks for any help.
    larry

later, ..... I see that in Word under File|Properties|Summary Tab there are places to put Keyword, Subject, and even Category; but I don't find a way to sort all my documents by those fields.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: categories in word? (2000 SR1)

Larry,

If you go to Tools > Options > Save tab, and put a checkmark next to 'Prompt for document properties', then the first time you save any newly-created document, the File Properties dialog will automatically appear. If you look on the Summary tab, you will see that there are places for entires including 'Category'. If you fill these in, they are saved with the document. Additionally, you can create your own custom categories ("custom document properties") by going to the Custom tab.

All of the document properties entered this way can be viewed either from within the document itself, or from Windows Explorer (select the document, right-click, then click on Properties).

If you wanted to automate the process further and create your own version of a journaling application, you would then need to use VBA code to create a user interface that permitted sorting documents by property - probably not a trivial project. In any case, hope any of the above info is useful.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, we're on the right track here; but as you suggested in your closing paragraph, what I am really looking for is a nice way to sort a directory (with sub-directories) of documents by different individual properties that are individually assigned to each document at the time of its creation. Actually, I'm not a programmer, but I am a little surprised this is not a standard part of the Word filing system.

Thanks

> I am a little surprised this is not a standard part of the Word filing system.

Word has no filing system, but if you have several thousands of dollars MS will sell you something called TeamShare or SharePoint (or something like that), which is an initial effort at a true document management solution.

Basically, your only "free" option is to create a folder hierarchy to differentiate among the types of documents. The cost of this, of course, is that related documents cannot be viewed at the same time if they have been sorted into different folders. I guess there's nothing for free, after all.

Thanks

Have you tried using Outlook? If you choose View > Go To > Folder..., and drop down the top control to File System, you can get a view on your files and list the Word document properties:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Jefferson,

Thanks for posting this - what a great feature - who knew?

A nice add'l wrinkle is that, once defined, you can add a shortcut to a custom folder view like this to your Outlook shortcut bar - giving you quick access to as many custom folder views as you'd care to build (I imagine). This is probably as close as Larry can get to his custom files view, without spending $$$.

Gary