Lounger
    Thanks

Document Variables (2000 SR1)

Hi all,
    I have problem in that I'm using version numbers to keep track of a particular document. The problem is I want to see the version number displayed in a footer and ideally a document variable field would do the trick. Unfortunately version numbers (Word 2000) isn't available as a variable!. I've got round it using vba (ActiveDocument.Versions.Count) but of course this is in an autorun macro which for obvious reasons I'd prefer not to use. Does anyone know a method of creating your own document variables or is there an "undocumented" workaround?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Variables (2000 SR1)

You *can* create your own document variables, but unfortunately that involves VBA too: a Document object has a Variables collection. It's easy enough to create a document variable in the Immediate window of the Visual Basic Editor:

ActiveDocument.Variables("Version") = 6

and to refer to it in a field in the document:

{ DOCVARIABLE "Version" }

You can even set it to the number of versions in the Immediate window, but to set the variable to the number of versions automatically involves a macro...

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Document Variables (2000 SR1)

Hi Doug,

There is a workaround described at http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ayVersions.htm, where you are also counselled against using Word's version feature because of its potential to corrupt documents.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Variables (2000 SR1) Thanks All!

Thanks guys,
    These have given me food for thought, however it's a pity there isn't a more robust system for document change control

Doug