Star Lounger
    Thanks

Full reinstall of XP Home (XP home, O2k HP 1.6GHZ)

I have a couple of issue with my system that I can

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Full reinstall of XP Home (XP home, O2k HP 1.6GHZ)

1.) what problems are you having? There are many in the forum who will try to help you resolve them without a complete re-install.
    2.) Have you installed XP SP-1? Have you kept up to date with fixes at Windows Update?
    3.) IMHO, most people (me included) will tell you that you do not need to 'automatically' re-install XP. You've got better things to do. It should only be a last resort. The only caveat to that is that if you install and uninstall a lot (insert your definition of a lot here) of software your registry may have quite a bit of leftovers in it. A good registry cleaner ( JV16 power tools is one) may help.
    4.) Before you re-install - make sure your data is backed up. That's usually your My Documents folder or in the case of a mulitple user system the 'Documents and Settings' folder. Check out any other folders that could possibly have data in them - either you put the files there or a program that insists on using its own folders.
    5.) In general, it is up to you to determine what you want to start when you boot the PC. Virus scanner and firewall for sure. Beyond that it is your choice. Most things do not need to start at boot time. In fact, your PC will be usable more quickly the less you have start immediately. The programs should still be accessible through the Start | All Programs menus.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,
    I have been trying to figure out how to fix a problem and have had no luck with an answer. Have had a lot of suggestion but nothing working. Look at the group of responses to my Windows sizing and defrag from a few days ago.

Basically from defragging gone wrong, repairing gone wrong or what ever, my window do not go to full size. There is roughly a 1

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just taking a shot in the dark here, (search on "shot in the dark" for my frequency on THAT) but is it possible that one of your myriad of "little programs" has set itself up with some space at the top of the screen? It might be worth your while to spend some time uninstalling as many of these programs as you can, obviously especially the ones you don't use often, and see if it clears up your problem. You should also use a program like jv16 to clean the registry of "leftovers" of these little programs.

When the advice is given to do a re-format and re-install on a regular basis (6 months...) it is precisely to clean up the dregs of all these cool little programs that we find and then forget about, or never use, or only partially uninstall. I just installed (and uninstalled) one the other day that monitored open ports, and it set itself up with a 1" band at the top to show off it's wares.

I'm one that's not so adverse to going ahead with the re-format. However, with the advent of the "Security Patch Of The Week" from MS, re-installing has become a more difficult chore than it used to be. I did have pretty good luck with the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" in xp when I upgraded my Dad's hard drive a few weeks ago. I did have to manually re-do some stuff, but all of his docs, and desktop settings, and internet connection info, etc was there. Saved a lot of time. Of course I have 2 computers networked together, so it was easy to dump the rather large file it created on my hd. You need a network or a CDRW to make this worthwhile.

(edit) I just went back and read your previous thread and I don't see you looking in msconfig or in taskmanager for any programs running that may be taking up that 1" space. Again, I suggest you check/back off all un-necessary programs running at start-up and see if it helps....

good luck,
    kip

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

See kip's response for other advice and a slightly different view on re-install. I imagine you'll get as many opinions on re-install as people you ask. If you are determined to do a re-install you should;
    1.) Be sure that you back up all your data.
    2.) Make sure you have the most current XP compatible drivers.
    3.) I'd first install the OS and ALL updates to it before installing anything else.
    4.) Install the updated drivers.
    5.) Then maybe an anitvirus program and firewall.
    6.) Then Office and ALL its updates.
    7.) Restore your data
    8.) Install other programs carefully choosing which you really use.

I don't think there is any definitive list. We all seem to learn as we go.

Joe
    Joe