3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How Security Works in Access 2K (Access 2K, VB6)

I have a VB 6 front end that uses an Access database with user level security. I need to deploy this application to other companies and want to remove the users from my company before deploying it. Are the users actually stored in the MDW file or in the database. If I copied the database, and using the same workgroup information file delete all the users, will that still affect the production database for my company?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How Security Works in Access 2K (Access 2K, VB6)

Copy the .mdw file, and in the copy, delete all of the accounts that you don't want to ship along with your app.

The accounts, passwords and groups are stored within the .mdw. The permissions are stored with the .mdb.

A nifty little trick with Access user level security, is that the .mdb stored permissions based on a 'hash' (I guess the technically correct term is a UID). That UID is created by the .mdw (when you 'authenticate') and handed off to the .mdb. The neat trick is that if you use the same name and ID# when you create an account in a new .mdw, you will find that you can use that account, in that .mdw with any other database that has the same account.

For example, I have a shortcut on my desktop that uses ISReq.mdw as the workgroup file, and has my account and password in it. Hitting that shortcut takes me into one of our main Access Backends. That account is the 'Admin' account I setup in all of my secured databases. (I then setup other accounts based on who is going to use them). When I make a new secured database, it usually gets its own .mdw file. However, since I always set my Admin account up the same, I can always use my shortcut to open that one backend, then use that 'instance' of Access to open any other secured .mdb I have set up.

Hope that wasn't too much information.