Lounger
    Thanks

Report Settings Differ By User??? (2000)

I have a client accessing a remote server via Terminal Server and we just noticed that something unusual is occurring... On a report --- one of the paragraphs (just a text box) displays all the text for some of the users and part of it for others.... The settings are the same, page settings the same, printer set to Default.... Users accessing the application directly are having similar problems... I'm not sure what the deal is.... any suggestions...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Report Settings Differ By User??? (2000)

To follow up on what Hans is saying, if you want the report to retain its settings, have all the instances of the report use the setting "Use Specific Printer" on the Page tab of Page setup on the computer on which the report resides. Specify the printer to which the report will print and you won't have problems with messed up formatting. I do this as a matter of course with all reports, having had many in the past revert to unwanted default settings.

Access 2000 has a bad habit of reverting to default margin settings with reports even if you think you have changed them. The only safe way around this that I have found is the "Use specific printer" setting

Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the printer is set to Default, the report will use whatever the default printer of the user is - which is as intended. But different printers have different margin settings. For instance, the inkjet printer I use at home has minimum left and right margins of 0.12 inch, while the laser printer at work has minimum margins of 0.20 inch. If I design a report at home exploiting the maximum possible page width, the text will be truncated at the right hand side when printed in the office where I work. There is even a (small) difference between the various printers in the office, even though the IT department strives to use equivalent printer drivers on all printers...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I suspected that the problem was the default setting... my problem will persist due to the fact that the users are in different locations and use different printers... So--- I am going to have to make them aware to check their letters and reports before sending them out and we can program/design around the problematic printers...

Thanks again for responding....

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You don't indicate what Service Releases/Packs have been applied, so that may be a potential issue. There was a fix in one (SR-1a I believe) to eliminate a problem with margin settings reverting to the default values under various conditions. You might see if the installation on Terminal Server has been upgraded to the latest version.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I know all of our Office and Windows patches are up to date, but I hadn't checked the Terminal Server releases... I'll do that now.