Star Lounger
    Thanks

mailmerge (2000 and xp)

Retrieve "new" document from template. Using mail merge make it main document. Using mail merge select existing data source(word document type). Merge to new document. New document is not accessable to make change ie. date. No entries can be made on this new document. By accident found that by clicking on close and then selecting cancel in the dialog box the new document becomes editable. Why does it lock and how do I avoid the extra steps each time i want to edit my merged document?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mailmerge (2000 and xp)

Hi Sam:
    I could find nothing on the knowledge base addressing this & I can't duplicate it. The only 2 things I can think of is
    1. Could the template (that you create the new document from) be corrupt? See if it happens if you use a different template to create the main document.
    2. Could the data source be corrupt? Try a different data source.

I'm assuming that you can't edit anything in your merged document, not just fields.

Do you have any add-ins that could be affecting mail merge. If so, try the steps suggested in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually using over 30 templates and over 100 data sources and phenomena occurs in any combination. I have also been unable to duplicate this on another computer. will try the steps suggested in post 197827. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sam:
    Based on what you've said, you might have to uninstall & reinstall Word. Either that or something is wrong on your operating system. I'd try detect & repair first, although if you have both 2000 & 2002 on the same system, you need to install 2002 last.