Thanks

Separate Process

I recall (Win95, 98, or 98SE?) being able to set "Explorer as a separate process" in the Advanced Options...

Now, I've been told by TexHex (xteq.com -- X-Setup) that it wasn't available till NT ... but I've never used NT... and NOW, Ashampoo has WinOptimizer, which purportedly offers/has the facility to set this...

Who is right here?

Befuddled,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Separate Process

"Explorer" is an ambiguous term. Are you talking about running Internet Explorer as a separate process from Windows Explorer? That used to be an option on the Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab -- but I don't see it in IE6...

I think that was introduced in IE4 when "Active Desktop' was introduced, and it appears to be controlled in the registry here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerBrowseNewProcess

But it seems to be set to a default of "YES" now, so the Internet Options Advanced tab does not seem to allow you to modify that.

Now, you may be talking about opening Windows Explorer windows or even the Desktop as separate processes. Here are some information about controlling these:

Launch Windows Desktop in a Separate Process
    Launch Folder Windows in a Separate Process

And for completeness sake:
    Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process

Thanks

R2:

Really appreciate a thorough, and (yet to be tested) hopefully effective set of changes...

Now I think I'll start a 'discussion' and forward this info on to TexHex...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a little description about the history of "BrowseNewProcess".

1) It used to exist as an option on the Advanced tab in IE4.0-5.0. That is consistent with it originating with the advent of "Active Desktop" -- which was introduced with IE4.0.

2) In IE5.01, the option was REMOVED from the Advanced tab and it was set automatically based on the following criteria:

"If the computer has less than 32 megabytes (MBs) of RAM installed, this setting is disabled and all instances of Internet Explorer share the same process. If there is 32 MBs of RAM or more installed on the computer, the setting is enabled, which causes new instances of Internet Explorer to create new processes."

--from "Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process" Setting Is Not Available in Internet Explorer 5.01 or Internet Explorer 5.5

This option came from IE4 and as best I can tell was NOT Operating System dependent -- it was on all computers that installed IE4 (Active Desktop again?).

Add: Trying to make the AD - BNP connection:

When IE 4/5 hangs, Windows NT Explorer hangs.
    Frontier and the Active Desktop

So, I think I can find some mild support for my theory....