4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tables & Text boxes or??? (Word 97/SR-2)

Hi -

I have to create tables (without borders visible), numbers right aligned. The last figure in the column is enclosed in a box (rectangular) going the width of the column.

When I highlight the number, go to Borders & Shading, select Paragraph and then either Box or click on Left/Right, Top/Bottom, I do not get the right border.

I tried using Text then box

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tables & Text boxes or??? (Word 97/SR-2)

1. Have you tried applying the border to the cell instead of the paragraph or text?
    2. Is it possible that the right border is outside the printable area of the paper? Other than with ordinary text, I don't think that Word warns you if a table is extended beyond the printable area.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Curious,

Could you attach a document illustrating your problem? It doesn't need to be the entire document you're working on - just the table, or a part of it. If the table contains sensitive data, replace it by dummy data. The doc should be below 100 KB; it it is larger, put it into a zip file and attach that.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Thank you for offering to view the document.

Most appreciated.

Curious

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It seems to work for me, but I am running Office XP. You will need to select the "Box" option and then a line width. hope this helps.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by macropod on 25-Feb-03 12:31. Clarification of solution 2, and 3rd solution added)</P>Hi curious,

Three solutions:
    1. Place the paras to be boxed on their own row, then place a border around the cells on that row, or
    2. Indent the paras to be boxed (left by 0.01" and right by 0.02"), then place a border around the paras. Note that this won't work if the para to be boxed is on the last line of the cell - the paragraph to be boxed must be terminated with a para marker, not a cell marker.
    3. If you need to box the paragraph with the cell marker, reduce the point spacing to the left and right of the paragraph to, say, 1 pt when you place the border around the paras. In Word 2K, you do this via Format|Borders and Shading|"Paragraph|Options"

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Curious,

Macropod has already given you some excellent suggestions.

Placing the data to be boxed in a separate row and usung cell borders seems the best option to me - it gives the best-looking results.

In Word 97, I don't need to place a paragraph marker after the last entry in a cell; I can place a paragraph border around the line containing the cell marker. Perhaps this is different from Word 2000. Using a (very) small indent in the paragraph format is essential here to make it work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, I missed the fact that you wanted only a line within the cell. So Yes, I have the same problem with 2002 (XP). Your statement about no cell border, is what is masking the single line box.

Each line needs to be a separate cell and then add a border to the selected cells.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all so much.

Last night--this morning, actually, 4 a.m.--the light bulb went off: it dawned on me that I really should have a row for each entry in the table-and to get into the habit of so doing, rather than having multiple entries within the same row.

Then reading your posts, this was confirmed. So, thank you all very, very much. I was able to meet the deadline.
    Curious