Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help! Access to tmp file (2000/SP 3)

I need to recover a Word doc.

I was working on the document when Word decided not to save the file (I periodically hit Ctrl-S to save). The original file size reduced from 67K to 1K, and I can't get access to the .tmp fle which I presume is the working copy that Word uses. The .tmp file is the 'right size'. I can't change the tmp file extension to .doc (I get "Cannot Rename... Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use [which it isn't]).

This file, as yet unprinted, contained my interview preparation for my medical school interview next week; I have an earlier version and can re-create, but would prefer not to!

Any help most appreciated!

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Help! Access to tmp file (2000/SP 3)

Hi Theo,

Re-booting might give you access to the file - as might re-starting Word. If you've got autosave on, then you should lose no more than the autosave's period of work.
    Alternatively, take a copy of the tmp file and re-name it. You probably can't do anything with the current copy until you at least close Word, because Word is holding it open.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you exited Word in the proper manner, the temp files should be deleted. Now, do you have the "Backup" files being made? If not, I think your file may be in bit heaven

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys, that was a great help!

For your future reference the solution WAS that a REBOOT enabled me to copy the .tmp file without "Access Denied" problems, rename with .doc extension and open as if there had never been any problem. Copying after Word had been shut, on its own, didn't work previously.

Phew, that was a lifesaver!

btw - I don't usually like to leave Autosave on, because often if I start to make drastic changes in a document I may not want the previous work saved over the top of. I prefer to Ctrl-S (which I do do fairly religiously) and make a decision as to renaming on saving so I can go back to previous any version. I had a look at Versions in Word, but it seems only to give the advantage over my method of having the few comments visible for each version. Not having tested it further I would not currently trust that Word would safely keep versions separate enough to avoid problems if trying to go back if there were "problems".

Thanks

It can also work to use the file open dialog in Word and in file type choose 'recover text from any file' though you get text only.

Ian

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Theo:
    For future reference, I find that if you Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the task monitor, you will find that winword will be listed (as it didn't shut down properly). If you end task on it, it will release it's hold on the temp files. You should then be able to open it without rebooting.

Versions can cause corruption & most experts recommend not using it. Autosave is another matter. It doesn't hurt to have it on, especially on a fast machine. Once in awhile, it may save your butt.
    Cheers,