2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turning off sounds in IE (6.0)

I recently just started using my sound card to listen to streamed audio as I work, and I DON'T LIKE cheesy, superfluous noises when I am navigating with the mouse. I KNOW I clicked, I can feel it with my finger and see the results on the screen, thank you, and I would rather just keep listening to the Mozart without IE's adding one of the most annoying sounds I can imagine, just like the tick from a scratched LP record. I can't find any way to turn this off inside IE or in the Control Panel sounds dialog box. I am running IE 6.0 under Windows 98 SE. Help please!

Thanks

Re: Turning off sounds in IE (6.0)

Hi, John ~

You didn't really specify whether they were system sounds or web sounds, so I will address them both:<UL><LI>IE > 'Tools' > 'Internet Options...' > 'Advanced' tab<LI>Under 'Multimedia' section, uncheck the box next to 'Play sounds in web pages'[/list]<center>
    - or -</center>
    These steps may be slightly different as I am recalling from memory since I don't have a 98 unit in front of me, but am sure you can navigate:<UL><LI>'Start' > 'Settings' > 'Control Panel' > 'Sounds and Audio Devices Properties' > 'Sounds' tab<LI>Under 'Program events:', look under the 'Windows' section and disable, for example, any offending sounds such as 'Exclamation' or 'Asterisk',[/list]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I found the "LP record tick" sound that so annoys me. I had been to both of the locations you gave, but didn't find what I needed till I looked again. The tick is a system sound for "Start Navigation" listed under Windows Explorer. There are no sounds listed under Internet Explorer. I never heard the sound in Windows Explorer because I use the classic view in which Windows Explorer does not display as Web pages. Microsoft created a confusing situation in which the sounds may not play in the application under which they are listed, while they do play in another application, and the commonality of those applications is not apparent to the user.

I do want to disable all other system sounds except those which give me a warning about something important that I wouldn't otherwise know. (I do know that I clicked the mouse, thank you very much.)

It would be nice to have a warning sound for -- as an example -- "you have run out of disk space." I have had this happen, and the computer starts acting weird, and I close one program after another, and then when I've closed the last one on the desktop, underneath them all I find the message box alerting me to the cause of the problem. I should think that at least, this warning ought to take "always on top" precedence. And be accompanied by a warning sound. That sound might be a voice saying "out of disk space!"

I don't want to disable "play sounds in Web pages," at least not by default, because the sounds are part of what the Web page creators intended, and may contain content I need to hear in order to understand the pages, and besides, I have a broadband connection so there is no twiddling my thumbs while the sounds download.

Thanks

Hi, John ~

I didn't think you really wanted to disable web sounds either, but provided that as an option since I was unsure which sound might have been the unwanted one. I figured it may have been a system sound and offered 'Exclamation' or 'Asterisk' as hopeful examples. I find those annoying as well when wearing headphones and getting lost in Wynton Marsalis.