New Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Word/Access

I am for the first time trying to take data from an access data base and merge it into a word document in order to prepare a cycling club membership Directory. The membership directory should have at the top of each page a line showing page number, club name and month & year. Then the rest of the page I am trying to use 4 columns. I have 924 records in the data base so should come up with 924 n&a in the directory. I follow the data base tools merge with microsoft word, format a word doc, insert the merge fields (format the font, bold, etc). Then I hit merge and the only data base record that gets into the word document is the first record - how do I get the other 923 records to hit the word doc? Could use some help/advice with this process. Thanks Ken

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge Word/Access

In order to merge more than one record on a page your mail merge needs to be set up as a catalog. In Word click Tools/Mail Merge. Under Main Document, choose Catalog.

You may want to add two or three blank lines after your merge fields, too, so the names don't all run together.

Then, once your Catalog is merged, use Column Breaks where necessary.

As far as the information you need at the top of each page, that can be accomplished using a Header.
    egghead

New Lounger
    Thanks

Egghead:

Thanks for getting me on the right track. I am using catelog and get much better results - the one problem I am having is I can't get all the 924 records to list out on the catelog. I am having a hard time trying to figure out where the data is coming from? I am following the mail merge wizard and it seems to say the right things but no go on all the records. Would appreciate if you have any ideas you can share with me. Either way thanks for getting me on the right track.

Ken

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ken:

If all your records aren't printing, take a look at your datasource. First, make sure that you're not using a filter or some criteria that is causing some of the records to be excluded.

I'm not sure what you mean by you don't know where you're data is coming from. During the mail merge process, you have an opertunity, at Step 2, to choose your datasource. You should have an opportunity to select a particular query as your datasource. Take a look at the query or table in Access to make sure that you haven't excluded records that you wish included.

Hope this helps.