Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 and Wordpad (Word 2002/SP-2)

I am trying to read spreadsheets produced by colleagues on MS Wordpad Version 5.1 and MS Works Version 4.0 for Win 95. I have Win XP. The latter I cannot open and don't know if I have anything (in Win XP or Office XP) that will open it. Nor can my colleague read anything I send to her. We finally resorted to faxing, which is somewhat less that satisfactory. As for the MS Wordpad Version 5.1, this colleague has a new Win XP O/S but so far our compatibility is not perfect. The spreadsheet form we are using was produced in Word 2000, using Tables. Some of the data, which is in the correct column on his screen, is in an adjacent column on my screen. It's not consistent. About two columns are off, but not every cell in those columns has incorrect data. Any suggestions for either one or both of these challenges?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 and Wordpad (Word 2002/SP-2)

You can do far more with tables in recent versions of Word than is possible in the word processor of Works 4 and in WordPad. For instance, adjacent cells can be merged in Word tables, but Wordpad only "knows" tables consisting of a regular grid of rows and columns. If your colleague creates a "straight" table in Word, Wordpad and Works should be able to display it correctly, but if she uses the features that are specific to recent versions of Word, you will experience the problems you describe, and you should use Word to open them.

Note (semantics): the term "spreadsheet" is commonly used for the type of document produced in Excel; although Word tables also consist of cells organized in rows and columns, and have some of the capabilities of a spreadsheet (primitive formulas), they are far more limited than real spreadsheets.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 and Wordpad (Word 2002/SP-2)

It's working!! I made a very simple table by inserting a table in Word and the Works 4.0 and Wordpad folks can open it, fill it in, return it to Word 2000 and XP users and we can read them perfectly. Apparently the original document that was giving everyone so much trouble was originally created in Excel and then converted to Word. Thanks so much for your help.