Thread: PST Lockout

a065tot

PST Lockout

Annually, I archive Outlook PST files to CD-R for safekeeping. The last sets that I made cannot be accessed. Oulook reports "not authorized", but gives no chance to enter a user/password combination. My guess to the root of the problem is a change in hardware by my employer--I went from Win98SE with Outlook 98 to WinNT4 Workstation (w/ SP-6a) and Outlook 97. Although my user name is the same, it is still producing a lockout. SCANPST did not seem to help. I also tried Advanced Outlook Password Recovery, but it reports no password in use.

Any suggestions to regain access to my data in that PST?

Thanks, Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PST Lockout

was it on a cd at one time? check for the read flag being set. outlook needs read write access.

a065tot

I have 3 separate PST's on one CD-R. In the past, I could retrieve them. Your comment about read/write access makes sense, so maybe I should move them to a CD-RW instead (?) Knowing Redmond, I lean toward in incompatibility between the PST's being created under Outlook 98 and being accessed back by Outlook 97. But, to test your idea, I can attempt to copy one back to the hard drive and attempt access. Any other thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the only compatability problem is if you enabled large tables. i'm not sure if ol97 can handle those or if it's an outlook vrs an exchange client thing. (look on the properties of the pst when opened in outlook, under advanced button)

i use cdrw with direct cd and it works fine.