Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Reduced fragmentation

Now that I've moved to 32-bit FAT, my 20G drive is all I can C, instead of being 10 2G partitions.

Defragmentation takes forever, because six of the 2G partitions used to contain my music CDs, ripped to MP3 format, and since they didn't change, they were mere seconds to defragment. Now those partitions have become folders on the mighty C, and as such get buffeted and jostled by the winds of change.

It seems to me that a policy of continually emptying the recycle bin ought to be detrimental to my situation, since emptying the reccyle bin produces more "holes", and thus increases the chances/opportunities of fragmentation.

Fragmentation I'll always have; it's the nature of the beast, in editing a document or file.

But emptying my reccyle bin (and deleting unnecessary files) ought best be done immediately before the defragmentation exercise, and at no other time.

And if space were a problem, the corrolary would be that defragmentation should be done immediately after reclaiming space, and at no other time.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reduced fragmentation

Hi Chris:
    I have Win98 SE also. I reduced my defrag time by downloading & using the defrag utility that's for WinME (I'm not where I can easily locate the URL, but I believe the recommendation was somewhere on the Lounge). Next, I decreased the time even more by using DiskKeeperLite. See <post#=196412>post 196412</post#>

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Reduced fragmentation

Im not sure I understand. I use Fat32 and anytime I create a partition Primary or Logical, it is assigned a seperate(drive) letter like C:,D:,E:,F: and so on. So i don't understand why your partitions are not doing this. Then again maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. My other partitions have never shown up under C: as a folder.
    See this post for two very good Defragers <!post=Perfectdisk & Diskeeper,229421>Perfectdisk & Diskeeper<!/post>