Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sticky passwords

I have just passed through Controls to change, yet again, my image, and note that each time I've been there in the past two or three days, the two passwords text boxes (near the top of the form) contain different-length strings, and that neither of them matches my correct password (held by me in a secure Word document).

If I make no change to the lounge-stored passwords, of course, I get "no match, throw a six and try again", which I do.

If I paste one password over the other (Ctrl-C, Tab, Ctrl-V) I get no match.

If I paste the correct password from my Word document into the two text boxes (Ctrl-V, Tab, Ctrl-V), the lounge is happy, and so am I.

With the shot of me in front of the firing-squad, as you can see.

However, next time I go to Controls I'll run through the same debacle.

I must have cookies set, otherwise I'd be asked to log in each time I came to the Lounge, no?

(I do have cookies set, because all the other sites I visit are happy with me).

Is anyone else experiencing this situation?

Any step--by-step suggestions for clarifying the lounge-stored data?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sticky passwords

This question (if I understand it correctly) has come up at least twice before. It has something to do with the encryption the Lounge software applies to your password. There's not much point in worrying over the displayed asterisks - if you don't want to change your password, leave them alone; if you *do* want to change it, type in the new one twice.

See for instance <post#=218005>post 218005</post#>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> See for instance post 218005

Thanks. Does this (post) imply that in the encryption process there are two random encryptions? When you go to Controls, do you see two different lengths in the text boxes?

If this is a bug I'll allow a moderator-of-my-choice (such as Geoff W) to log on as me in order to see the effect. I could paste a bitmap.

>type in the new one twice.

Hmmm. "Type" as in "each character, one by one, instead of using Ctrl-V?

Worth a thought.

I'll wait to see if anyone thinks that the two differeing lengths are a bug.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Mine shows two the same length. If I ignore them when changing other things then they ignore me.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That's what mine USED to do, in the early days.

I suspect that, at some stage, I re-assigned my passwords (maybe lost my cookies after a re-install of my system), and was assigned a new password by the Lounge, and the Lounge got confused when I pasted in my new one.

That would suggest that the Lounge code that receives the password strings traps typed characters as they are typed, but does not make use of a change in the text box (that results from pasting with Ctrl-V).

Thanks

Well, I've got no idea why they should appear as different lengths.

You could always try and confuse your profile by logging-in in disguise . . . ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> logging-in in disguise

I tried that and got yelled at (grin!) but maybe your upgrade will take ......

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have gone back to change my BIO information, and retyped the passwords. No hiccoughs so far ...... (5 minutes later) ... NOPE! The old different lengths are still there.

Odd.