New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 won't run under Win XP Pro (Access 97 SR-2)

I am attempting to run Access 97 under Windows XP Pro. The installation went without a hitch but when I tried to run the program I got the following error message: "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine." Is the program being blocked by something in XP or might it be Access 97 itself? Is there a way around this?

MS Office XP is also installed on this computer but I uninstalled Access 2002 and then installed Access 97 because I was unsucessful at importing a large Access 97 database into Access 2002.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 won't run under Win XP Pro (Access 97 SR-2)

Access 97 will install and run under WinXP, so take a look at the MSKB article Mark posted.

Unfortunately, 97 databases converted to 2000 or 2002 carry any existing problems along with them and those problems may get worse because of changes in Jet, VBA and the query engine between 97 and 2000. The only real reason for not being able to import a 97 database to 2002 is an uncompiled 97 database to start with. It has to compile and run in 97 before you have a good chance of importing it into 2002. However, if by "large", you really mean large, you may be running into a different problem. A 97 database will roughly double in size when you import it into 2002. If your machine is running low on swap file space, that may not be possible.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 won't run under Win XP Pro (Access 97 SR-2)

From what I have heard, Access 97 and Windows XP is not a happy combination, so I don't know if the following will help.

Your problem may be caused by a lacking font (Hatten.ttf) or because you don't have sufficient rights in the Registry. See MSKB article ACC: "There Is No License" Error Message Starting Microsoft Access for a description of these possible causes and their solutions.