New Lounger
    Thanks

'Find' (Ctrl F) No Longer Works! (Access 2002SP-2) & 2000)

I created a database on my computer at home using Access XP, then copied it onto a CD-RW and took it to work. My computer at work has Access 2000 (and the computer department tells me that it has installed the SP-2).

I copied the database to the hard drive and, for the first few hours, I was able to use the "Find" (Ctrl-F) feature to locate my desired records. Later that afternoon, however, the Find stopped working; it says "(searchstring) not found." It *will* find a word that is located within the SAME record, but can't find anything in ANOTHER record.

I checked to make sure that no filters were applied that would interfere with the search. I have also tried creating a new database and importing the old one, but this didn't fix the problem.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? I would REALLY appreciate any help, because I spent days designing this database and typing in the data.

Thanks!
    Marcia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Find' (Ctrl F) No Longer Works! (Access 2002SP-2) & 2000)

Do you have the focus on a control bound to a searchable field? You can't do a search except on a field that is actually in the recordset.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean, Charlotte. Are you asking about a custom command button that I created to perform the search? If so, the answer is no. I am just using the built-in Edit>Find (Ctrl F) dialog box, with the search options set to: Look in all fields in the form, matching any part of the field, and searching all records.

Thanks!
    Marcia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that was what I was asking.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you by chance using a combo box to navigate between records, and somehow a filter has been applied to the form? You can test that by using the PageUp and PageDn keys to move to a different record. BTW, the "find" command is usually not a very efficient method of locating data in a database - filters are much faster and can be made boolean so you can search on multiple fields with different criteria. The challenge with filters is getting the user to understand the process and the power of filtering.

I should add that we've seen an occasional bizzare problem with databases developed in XP and run on 2000 - we discovered that if you import all the objects into a new empty database created in 2000, the problems all go away. No idea why!
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply, Wendell. I am not using a combo box to navigate between records (although I DO use combo boxes on the form with value lists as the row source type). I usually just navigate by using the "Find" (and "Find Again") to locate the key words I need; if I know which field the word is in, I'll place my cursor in that field first to search only on that field.

I AM interesting in hearing more about the filter that you're referring to, and how it may be different from the "filter-by-form." I DO like to use the "filter-by-form" to pull out groups of records that meet certain criteria, and I have several buttons at the top of my form that will print various reports after I have filtered the data. Is this what you're talking about, or is there something more to it?

Thanks!!

P.S. We tried creating a blank database and importing the old one into it, but, unfortunately, it did not fix my problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you sure you haven't turned something off or added a hotkey that conflicts with the Ctl-F?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know... I may have accidentally done so without realizing it. The only changes I made to the database after I copied it to the hard drive was to tighten up on some of the fields in order to reduce the size of the form and eliminate the scroll bars (the monitor's screen and resolution is smaller at work). I can't think of any other changes I made.

What is a "hotkey?" That is unfamiliar to me.
    What other settings would conflict with "Find?" (Maybe I adjusted something that I don't remember changing.)

Thanks!!
    Marcia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Marcia - sorry for the delay in responding, but the alligators in my swamp got a bit unruly - so did my PC.
    Anyhow, I hope in the intervening days you've solved your problem, but if you haven't let's have another go at it. First, I assume the find you are doing is on a form. Have you tried doing the same find at the table or query level, and if so, did it work there? If it did, then on the form are you able to move from record to record with the PageUp and PageDown or the navigation controls?

When I mentioned filters, I was referring to the right click in a control and chose one of the options such as Filter By Selection or Filter For:. It's similar to "filter by form" but lets you dynamically create more complex filters as you can do things in several different fields to create a Boolean situation. So you can create fairly complex criteria very quickly - for example you could enter Like "*ill*" in the Filter For: option for a first name field to find both William and Bill. Never the less, we should be able to get your Find to work too.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Wendell. Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I did not figure out the solution to my problem, so I re-did the database (I was able to import the reports and data, however), and have now deleted the defective one.

Since you asked, however, the "Find" also failed in the table mode. I was also able to go to subsequent records by paging up and down.

Thanks for your help anyway! I'm sure I'll have other questions later on.

Marcia