3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoOpen macro do not start (Office XP, Word 2000, IE 6.0)

Hope to get a solution to the following problem:

When opening a document, stored in SharePoint Portal Server, using Internet Explorer (IE) the document, .doc, is opened in Word but it is displayed as: "Document in Microsoft Internet Explorer" as the file name. An AutoOpnen macro which is in the attached template does not start. (The AutoOpen macro collects the version number from SP).

The value for the registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Classes/Word.Documents.8/BrowserFlags is by default set to hexa 9 (decimal 9)

If I on the other hand set the value for the registry Key to hexa a, (decimal 10), the document opens in Word with the correct file name, but the AutoOpen macro does not start.

Can anyone give me a suggestion of how to get the macro to start?

I have searched on MS Usergroups and TechNet and Knowledge base, but so far haven't got a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
    Bj

Thanks

Re: AutoOpen macro do not start (Office XP, Word 2000, IE 6.0)

Bjorn, I know you have experienced a number of issues working with SharePoint, including these threads:

<UL><LI>Open documents and start macros in doc. (IE 6.0.2600.000) (13 posts)

<LI>VBA showing up in Off XP (Office XP, Word 2002, SP-2) (14 posts)

<UL><LI>Article describing the problem: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328061 - OFFXP: When You Check Out Microsoft Office Documents from a Sharepoint Portal Server Web Folder the Visual Basic Editor Window Appears[/list][/list]In this case, I think you are encountering a more general problem with Word opening documents from a Web server. According to the official story, the AutoOpen or Document_Open macro is supposed to run if you open the document in the browser, but not if you open it in Word:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 220532 - WD2000: AutoOpen Macro Fails to Run Opening Document in Browser
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 286310 - WD2002: Behavior of AutoExec and AutoLoad Macros in Word 2002 (not mentioning any problem)

Of course, your real world experience may differ...

Although this has been discussed before, I don't remember whether a fix was proposed. Maybe you can display a floating toolbar with a "Click me to start" button on it and make the user update the number?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JSCHER!
    Thanks for your reply. Not many have given this PROBLEM a solution.
    It turns out that two Hot fixes has been given out and they fix the problem:

Check-out now starts the AutoOpen macro as long as you open the document in Windows Explorer.
    A Hot fix is available for "VBA starts when opening", so this is fixed.

This article: "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 220532 - WD2000: AutoOpen Macro Fails to Run Opening Document in Browser" has a solution to remove the checkmark for "Brows in same Window". this doesa not solve my problem. The AutoOpen/Document_Open macro does not start when opening from SharePoint( or a browser). The document gets the following file name: "Document in Microsoft Internet Explorer", which is a tempfile and not for further use, only for looking at.
    If I set the registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Classes/Word.Document.8 to hexa "a" the document will open in Word with the correct file name, BUT the AutoOpen/Document_Open macro does not start.

So this is "where the problem is" and I still need a solution to this.

I handed in a comment to the article 220532, but I haven't seen any solution yet.

Do you know of any?

Thanks for your interest and helpfull information!!!!

Regards
    Bj

Thanks

Sorry, no, the best I could do was the suggested workaround of making the user run a macro. If there is a big benefit to the AutoOpen, they should be willing to do it....