Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Folders VBE, Word8.0, Excel8.0. (Word97/SR2)

What are these?

Why are they here?

They crop up, I have no doubt, because I develop and run VBA procedure code (macros etc), but why so many of them (OK, four or more), and is there any way to inhibit them automatically, or automatically to remove them when their useful life is ended (apart from running a regular garbage-collection job)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folders VBE, Word8.0, Excel8.0. (Word97/SR2)

See MSKB article OFF: .Exd Files Are Created When You Insert Controls for an explanation of why these folders are created.

These folders and their contents (.exd files) are not removed because they are reused the next time. If you remove them, the application has to create the .exd file and associated folder anew when you next insert a control.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I'm putting you on the payroll .....

>Normally, the programs create these folders in the WindowsTemp folder. However, if the WindowsTemp folder does not exist, the files may be created elsewhere on your computer.

Odd! I just checked - I do have a C:Windowstemp folder, and yet I have these remnants.

I will delete all traces, and wait to see if they reappear.

Given that most machines have 64MB or more of RAM memory, I'm puzzled as to why MS would think that a file cache would be faster than a RAM cache. Can the savings be so great as to warrant leaving debris lying around on a hard drive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

If you are feeling adventurous and/or curious, start RegEdit and search for .exd in the registry. The locations of the various .exd files are held somewhere in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.