2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Downloading a Word/Excel File from the Web w/ VBA (Excel 2000SR1)

Hello,

I would like to keep a few files stored on a web location where the users could download them. The most current version of the files would always be on the web. Since the master version will always be available, I would like to add a VBA procedure that can check the date of the file on the web and compare it to date of the file on the local drive. If they are not the same, I would like for the user to be able to just click a button to download the current version.

Is this possible? And if so, how difficult is it to accomplish?

Thanks,

Thanks

Re: Downloading a Word/Excel File from the Web w/ VBA (Excel 2000SR1)

Word and Excel documents can access their own "last modified" date/time through VBA in the document/workbook. You could create an AutoOpen macro in the file to check the internal date against the date of the file on the hard drive (e.g., using the FileSystemObject). If you don't have a standard location for the local copy of the document, this could be a challenge.

This might be easier than trying to do it the other way: requesting the file timestamp from the web server. But maybe that's easier than I think??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Downloading a Word/Excel File from the Web w/ VBA (Excel 2000SR1)

Assuming that the file on the web would always be the most current version, why not use an ftp program and schedule the download every day? or every hour? or whenever you want? With some ftp programs, you set to only download if file size is different, although this may not necessarily make sure the user has the most recent version.

Not sure about Word, but Excel has some neat things you can do with a web query, although this might not suit your needs.