Star Lounger
    Thanks

Displaying CSV files (IE6/Office 2000 Premium SP-1)

I'm not sure exactly where the problem is, since it seems to intersect IE and Excel. Here's what happens:

We have a web-based reporting tool that gives you the option of generating a TXT, CSV or HTML file for your report.
    When your report has been generated, you are sent a mail message with a link to the report.
    You click the link, it launches IE and displays your report in an Excel-ish format (columns and rows with the Excel toolbars).

A client and I recently got new PCs with our standard corporate build. He called because, now when he generates a CSV report, the file opens fine and the data is all there but it's not parsed...he sees the commas where the data should be broken into columns. Before his new PC, all the data would be in the proper columns.

The kicker is that before my new PC, I used to see CSV files with the commas instead of broken into columns. Now I see columns.

I figure there has to be a setting somewhere that controls this, but I can't seem to find it. I've compared his IE and Excel Tools - Options settings to mine and they are the same. I also looked at the File Types tab in Windows Explorer to make sure the CSV extension is associated with Excel properly...it is.

For clarity, I've included screen shot below of how it displays on his PC (the 'wrong' way). I'll post another message with the 'right' way.

Can anyone explain what controls this behavior?

Thanks!
    Sue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Displaying CSV files (IE6/Office 2000 Premium SP-1)

Here is how it displays on my PC (the 'right' way).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any definite answers for you, and I am not sure what you mean by "Excel-ish format" (is it Excel or is it something else?), and, from what you posted, the file you opened is not the same file as the one in this post. Would it be possible to attach the actual file that fails so we can see what is in it. It looks like either the first and last double quote on each line is missing in the file, or that Excel is interpreting everything between the first and the last as a single string for some reason.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you and your client have different regional settings? Excel uses the character set as list separator in the Regional Settings control panel. In the US, this is a comma, but in some European countries, it is the semicolon.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

What I mean by "Excel-ish" is that the file opens in an Internet Explorer window but it looks like Excel...has the Excel menus, column/row labels, etc.

And the 2 screen shots ARE the same file. One I took from my machine. The other while connected to his machine with NetMeeting. We opened exactly the same link but got the 2 different results.

I can't send the exact file as is has some proprietary information in it...however, I may be able to cut it down to a sample that has only public information in it.

Thanks!
    Sue

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Hmmm...you may be onto something there... The client is in France and probably has his regional settings set to that instead of US. He's also running the French version of Excel but not Windows. He also has a colleague who is having the same issue but she is not running the French version. However she probably also has her regional settings set to France.

I guess what I think is wierd is that the 3 of us got new PCs at roughly the same time and the display for all 3 of us changed...it's just that mine started displaying properly and theirs started to not display properly.

However, I will experiment with the regional settings and see what that does.

Thanks for the pointer!
    Sue