5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NZ function in a query (AccessXP)

I think I need to use the NZ function in a query. I have two tables one holding the invoiced amounts (tblMonthlyInvoice) and one with payments (tblPayments). I have included both on a query grid and have joined them by the invoice number. Of course that shows only the invoices that have payments. What I need to be able to see is those plus the invoiced amounts that have no payments. I think I need to use the NZ function but can find only information for VBA. If there is no PaymentAmount for an invoice I want the NZ function to return "No payment received". Nothing I have tried has worked.

Any ideas or references would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for your help.

Fay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NZ function in a query (AccessXP)

You don't need the Nz function for this. You must change the join between the tables. Double click the line joining the tables, and select the option to Display all records from tblInvoices; depending on the way you have created the join, this is option 2 or 3. This is called an outer join, whereas option 1 is called an inner join.

Thanks

What Hans says is correct. However, I guess that what you have come up against is that you can see an invoice amount but do not get any data for payments. Setting the outer join may not solve the problem as there are probably no records in the payment table.

A way to work around this is that when you input an invoice in tblMonthlyInvoice, have the program put the related data in tblPayments with a zero amount. Your payment amount will then function. If you are using a form to input invoices and use a save button to save the data, you could also use an insert into statement to insert the data in tblPayments automatically. You could then either show zero as payment received or where there is a zero, input No Payment Received.

Is it possible to have more then one payment on an invoice?

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary and Hans.

I got it to work with the second join type.
    Gary it is possible to have multiple payments for an invoice. I will stay with the simple solution Hans came up with.

Thanks gentlemen. Fay