New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Word XP (Word XP)

In Word XP When, in the Merge sequence...with the instruction panel on the right side of the screen...the mail merge wizard..when I click the choice to CREATE data base, I get a message that reads 'database engine failure' and I cannot create the data source. I've un-installed and re-installed Word XP and still get the same message and cannot continue. This has happened on all six of my brand new compaq computers. I intend to create the data source in word, so I'm not doing anything in Excel or access. Any solutions others may have had on this dilemma?

billeger

Re: Mail Merge Word XP (Word XP)

Roger,

For the life of me I can't duplicate your trail in Word. Using the Mail Merge Wizard I don't see a "create data base." Step three
    of six gives me a choice: Use and existing list, Select from Outlook contacts or Type a new list. So I don't think I know
    which wizard you are using. Mine came from Tools | Letters and Mailings | Mail Merge Wizard.

Maybe we need more information.

Aloha, Hawai`i Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bill...thanks...here is each step and the full message
    1.With a new document screen on screen..click.Tools/Letters and Mailings/Mail Merge Wizard
    2.It defaults to document type=letters..click NEXT:starting document
    3.The 'select starting document' defaults to 'use the current document'
    4.Click NEXT: select recipients...at the "select recipients" step, change the choice to 'type a new list'
    5.When I change the choice in the above step, the 'type a new list' section, activates the word 'CREATE'
    6. When I click on CREATE...this message appears....THIS OPERATION CANNOT BE COMPLETED BECAUSE OF DIALOG OR DATABASE ENGINE FAILURES. PLEASE TRY AGAIN.
    I have another computer that the feature DOES work on....and on this computer, when I click on the word CREATE, in the above step, the wizard goes on to the New Address List dialog box and I'm able to complete the creation of the data source and thus able to complete the merge..... The six computers that get the failure message are brand new and we can't figure out what will fix it and we're the MIS guru's for 2000 users. YIKES....thanks for your help....quite a head scratcher for me and my colleagues. Roger

billeger

Roger,
    I duplicated your steps and the bad news is that it works fine on my machine.

If it ain't broke, I can't fix it!

I'm running WinXP Professional and Office XP, if that matters. This forum
    has three excellent moderators and my guess is one will be along any minute now and give you some good advice. I'll call the posts to the attention of at least one!

Aloha from Hawai`i
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This could be caused by any number of configuration problems, independent of Word so that re-install might not help. A check at Microsoft's Knowledge Base found Article 322215 , which together with Article Article 307255 hopefully might sort the problem out for you.

If not lett us know.

Andrew C