Lounger
    Thanks

Help unavailable (Access 97)

I am running Access 97 SR2, as part of Office 97. Operating system is Win98 Second Edition, with 512Mb of RAM.
    Whenever I try to open Help in Access I get the following message: "Help isn't available due to lack of memory or improper installation of Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Access. "

I do not have this problem with either Excel or Word and I can open the Access Help file from Windows Explorer. This problem has appeared only today and previously I've used Access Help with no trouble. However, I can't remember when I last used Access Help but I don't recall having any major crashes that might have caused file corruption.

Is there an easy fix or do have to re-install.? If so can I just re-install Access 97 and are there any precautions I should take when doing this? Any steps I should take to avoid this in the future? I'll be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help unavailable (Access 97)

Maybe the help indexes have become corrupt. Try deleting them; it won't hurt - help indexes will be created anew when needed.

If you don't mind waiting a bit the next time you open the online help in other applications, you can delete *.gid, *.ftg and *.fts in all locations (you can use Start/Search... to find them all).

If you want to delete only Access-related indexes, look for these files (if present, not all of then will exist):

In the Office folder (default location C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice):
    acmain80.gid, acmain80.ftg, acmain80.fts
    acvba80.gid, acvba80.ftg, acvba80.fts
    acdef80.gid, acdef80.ftg, acdef80.fts
    acnew80.gid, acnew80.ftg, acnew80.fts
    actip80.gid, actip80.ftg, actip80.fts
    acspc80.gid, acspc80.ftg, acspc80.fts
    rplbrf35.gid, rplbrf35.ftg, rplbrf35.fts
    vbaoff8.gid, vbaoff8.ftg, vbaoff8.fts

In C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDAO:
    dao35.gid, dao35.ftg, dao35.fts

In C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedVBA:
    all files with extension .gid, .ftg. .fts

In the Windows/System folder:
    jetdef35.gid, jetdef35.ftg, jetdef35.fts
    jeterr35.gid, jeterr35.ftg, jeterr35.fts
    jetsql35.gid, jetsql35.ftg, jeterr35.fts

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you getting this from the database interface for from the module interface? In other words, is it only one kind of help that is not available?
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, this is about Access 97 - there was no separate VBE then.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know that, Hans, but the help you got from a module window was not the same as the help from the database window even in Access 97.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, Charlotte and Hans.

Hans: In the list of suggested Access index files I could only find acmain80.gid on my computer. I deleted this file but I still cannot open Access Help.

Charlotte: I'm not sure of the distinction you draw between "module window" and "database window". I am referring to being unable to open the "Contents and Index", the second item in the drop-down Help menu on the extreme right hand side of the row of menus at the top of the screen. This fails to open no matter where I am in Access or what window I have open - I even get the same message if I try to open Help before I have opened any database. Also, if I attempt to open "Microsoft Access Help", the first item in the same drop-down menu, I get the message: "The Office Assistant cannot currently answer your questions. Run Setup again to make sure all the necessary Help files are correctly installed"

Once again, thanks in advance for any further help,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are the help files for Access actually there? You said you could open the help from Windows explorer, but what is the name of the help file you're opening? And do you have a later version of Access installed on the machine as well? There are two Access 97 help files, ACMAIN80.HLP and ACVBA80.HLP, but there are a bunch of secondary files that go with those: ACDEF80.HLP, ACNEW80.HLP, ACTIP80.HLP, plus the matching CNT files for each of the help files. All of those files are normally located in the Microsoft OfficeOffice folder where you installed Office 97.

There are several ways to get at the help files from inside Access. With a database window visible, selecting Help from the menu should bring up acmain80.hlp, but if you have a module open, help brings up acvba80.hp. Clicking on the help menu item with no database file open should give you the main Access help file, acmain80.hlp. If you aren't seeing that, then there's something wrong with your installation of Access. I don't remember if there was a reinstall option on the Office 97 setup CD, but if there is, a reinstall to repair missing files might fix it.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, Hello from Australia,
    A thank you to both you and Hans for your help.

In reply to your last post: I have all the HLP and CNT files you listed and I can open all these from Windows Explorer. I do not have a later version of Access on the same machine.

I decided to try a re-install of Access97. The only option seemed to be "Repeat the last installation" and I was worried that this would delete all the various patches, SR1 SR2 etc , that I have installed over time. However, the re-install was quite quick, Help>About now indicates I still have the SR2 patch on all my Office 97 components, AND I have Access 97 Help back in action. If I had known it was so simple I would have re-installed at the outset; I just thought I was likely to end up in an even bigger mess.

Many thanks again for your time,
    Regards,
    John