Thread: Flash drive

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Flash drive

I have a 128 MB V-drive USB flash drive which works perfectly with my two XP-based machines. I also have a Windows 98 (first edition) Aptiva that I'd like to be able to use it with but that I can't seem to get it to work with the drivers (which aren't required for XP) installed.
    In Device Manager/USB Controller it is listed as VTEC Flash Drive (V-Drive) Controller, where 'Properties' reports that 'This device is working properly', and the drivers reported are WindowsSystem32DriversVTSWDMB.SYS and WindowssystemVMM32.VXD (NTKERN.vxd). Under SCSI controllers/USB Mass Storage there is an exclamation mark and a 'Code 10' message (not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed). The drivers reported there are WindowsSystemVTSMPDB.MPD and ...VMM32IOS.vxd. I have my original CD and haven't found any updated drivers on the internet.
    Since the device works perfectly on my XP machines I'd welcome any suggestions on troubleshooting it on the Windows 98 machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Flash drive

Some of these USB devices that are designed for Windows XP require a special piece of software to be used with earlier versions of Windows. Check the OEM web site for supporting software in addition to drivers.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

There is indeed a setup.exe on the installation CD, and it appears to do what it's supposed to do and reports that the drivers are installed, and Windows then dutifully updates the drivers list. Unfortunately, I still can't get the drive to appear.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I had some problems one time getting USB drivers to work on Win98. Be careful, cause some how I screwed up and had to reload Win98. Had something to do with the .vxd and the USB drivers I tried to use from Win98 CD. I ended up having to use the USB drivers from the Mainboard System CD and then everything worked fine.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Now you've really got me worried. What on earth is the Mainboard System CD?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you had ANY USB device working on this machine yet?

If not, are the USB ports turned on in the BIOS? They were turned off by a LOT of the OEMs, with Windows 98FE.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

!st things first. Check out what Dave is talking about in BIOS. You would be surprised how many problems can be fixed with a few settings in BIOS.
    The CD that came with your Motherboard. It has all the drivers for things that are on your Motherboard. Like for instance if your Motherboard has a VIA chipset, it will most likely have VIA 4-1updated Drivers on it. If you have on board sound it will have the drivers for that, same thing if your Motherboard came with on board Video. Some times it has Xtras like Anti virus programs and such. If your motherboard came with USB it should have USB drivers on that System CD. And don't get worried just be careful about replacing the USB Drivers that came with your Motherboard. I only say that because I made that mistake and tried to use the USB drivers from Win98 CD instead of the ones that came with the Motherboard. And thats not to say the same thing would happen to you. It's just a word of caution. If the USB ports that you are using came with the Motherboard then the drivers will be on that System CD. If you need to know how to install those , let me know. Of course 1st we have to know if that you have that CD.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The machine is a 400 MHz IBM Aptiva E Series 274, and the CDs I have, aside from installation CDs for programs (and the flash drive), are the original OEM CDs.
    It has two USB ports, and I have LapLink, which works perfectly, and a CanoScan scanner, which also works perfectly, so the ports are fine. One concern I did have, however, was drive letters since I have the software installed for a parallel-port Zip drive and I recently installed PGP, which also takes a drive letter, and the flash drive will want one as well. Most of the alphabet is available and none of the other applications (except PGP) is in service at the moment. As for the BIOS, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Well if those other things are working that is hooked up to your USB ports then BIOS is already set up correctly . If it wasn't they wouldn't be working. And don't worry about the drive letters. Windows will give them out as needed. But I am stumped on your original problem, but I will keep searching and get back to you. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device that is giving you the problem? Another words the one that has the yellow mark beside it in device manager. Right click on it and select uninstall or remove.Shut down your computer. Plug in your Flash Drive, then reboot , put in your CD and reinstall the drivers when asked for by the Add Hardware Wizard. If you need help with that let me know, because sometimes you have to point the Wizard to the path of the correct driver for your OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Success, thanks to your suggestion. Re-installation seems to have solved it, but I also discovered a newer version of the installation software on the manufacturer's site (which I hadn't previously been able to locate), so maybe that was what did it. Whatever the case, I'm very grateful for your help.