Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Load Analysis ToolPak Add-In in XP (Excel XP)

I've been trying to load the Analysis ToolPak (ATP) and Analysis Tool-Pak - VBA add-ins in Excel XP aka Excel 2002 w/no luck. Every time I try to do so via Add-Ins dialog (Tools menu) a "serious error" occurs (see attd error msg), Excel crashes, & the WIN XP bug-report thing pops up & sends a bug report off to never-never land in Washington State. Another error msg reads: "Run-time error '50290': Method 'ExecuteExcel4Macro' of object '_Global' failed". Setting a reference to the add-in workbook (ATPVBAEN.XLA) in the VB editor likewise did not work - I was able to set reference by browsing for add-in file, the app didn't crash, but trying to use any of the ATP functions (either in workbook or in VBA) resulted in errors. Example:

? LCM(10,2,3)
    [GetMacroRegId] 'LCM' <
    [GetMacroRegId] Error while finding 'LCM' >

Tried to load ATP add-in via VBA code and using RegXLL method:

Application.RegisterXLL application.LibraryPath & "ANALYS32.XLL"

This likewise proved futile & resulted in some more colorful error messages before crashing the host application. Also ran Detect & Repair from Excel, no help. I was able to load other add-ins, such as Solver Add-In and Conditional Sum Wizard, w/o any problems. I never had problems loading & using ATP add-ins in Excel 2K. Could find no clues in MSKB and Lounge search. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Load Analysis ToolPak Add-In in XP (Excel XP)

Nobody seems to have any ideas about this - I couldn't find anything either, so it would seem it is not a common problem.

Have you tried unchecking all add-ins you have now? Quit and restart Excel before trying to install the Analysis Toolpak after uninstalling the others.

If all else fails, perhaps a complete uninstall and re-install of Office XP?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Method 'ExecuteExcel4Macro' of object '_Global' failed makes me wonder if you are trying to or have installed an old add-in from a prior Excel version. I had a problem with Excel misbehaving after I mistakenly installed a very old-add-in, but it didn't prevent me from installing add-ins.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The XL2000 version of ATBVBAEN.XLA still contains XL4 macros. MS never updated these add-ins since 1993, apart from small changes to make them work in later versions.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I had no add-ins checked when problem first occurred. I checked some of the other ones to see if they worked (which they did). Unchecking these & restarting Excel did not work. Also tried copying the .XLL & .XLA files from the LibraryAnalysis folder on an Office 2K system (where they function properly) to the same folder on Office XP system, however, not surprisingly, this stunt did not work either, same "serious error" occurs, so don't think it's the add-in files that are at fault or are corrupted. I do not have any old add-ins installed.

After sending off bug report you get a "Thanx" msgbox as illustrated, when you follow "More information" link you wind up somewhere in MS Office Support & are informed "There is currently no solution for the specific problem you reported."

So far I haven't resorted to uninstalling & re-installing Office XP, which may be only solution....

Thanks

Mark,
    Have you customised your worksheet menu bar in any way? I have had problems with the Analysis Toolpak in every version since 97 if certain menu options aren't where they ought to be, or called what they ought to be. Last time as I recall it appeared to be due to the fact I had moved the Options command onto the main menu from the Tools menu and changed its caption from "Options..." to just "Options". When I reset the menu bar the problem went away! Ours not to reason why....
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for suggestion. I do customize menus & toolbars a lot in XL & other Office apps & in fact usually place "Options" on main menu for ready access. I tried renaming PERSONAL.XLS & removing it from XL Startup folder but did not try deleting/renaming .XLB file w/toolbar settings. In Access if you try to customize the Add-ins menu by dragging menu items to new location on another menu or toolbar bizarre results sometimes result. When I get home later I'll try suggestion and see what happens....

Thanks

Mark,
    From memory, if you changed the caption of the Options... button, then changing it back may cure the issue. I ended up creating my own menu bar and disabling the built-in Worksheet Menu Bar, which also seemed to cure the problem for some reason.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I got a chance to check this out. I reset the Worksheet Menu Bar to default settings (I did have "Options", without ellipsis, on menu), to be safe closed Excel, reopened, then attempted to load the Analysis ToolPak add-ins via the Add-ins dialog. Both the ATP and ATP-VBA add-ins loaded w/o any further "drastic errors" & in quick test was able to use ATP functions in worksheet w/o incident.

That settles it, Rory is officially a genius. Maybe if the MS XL development team focused the same attention on fixing bugs like this as they bring to developing bogus flight simulators problems like this would not occur in first place.....

Thanx!